Learn how to draw a great looking Baby Seal with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Baby Seal drawing.
Seals are aquatic mammals. This means that they are furry, warm-blooded animals that spend most of their time in the sea. They must come on land to rest and raise young. There are 32 species of seal worldwide.
Seals have several unique adaptations. Instead of feet or paws, seals have webbed flippers to propel them through the water. They may look clumsy on the land, but they are graceful when swimming. Seals also have a layer of fat called blubber that helps them stay warm in cold waters.
Did you know? A baby seal is called a pup, the male is a bull, and the female is a cow. Seals also come in many sizes. The smallest, the Baikal seal, lives in an inland lake in Siberia, Russia. Baikal seals are less than 5 feet (1.4 meters) in length. The largest seal is the elephant seal of California, U.S.A. Elephant seals can reach lengths of 21 feet (6.5 meters) and weigh more than 8,000 pounds (3,700 kilograms).
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Cute seal pups have often served as mascots for conservation organizations. Why? Seals were almost hunted to extinction, but international laws now protect them from the dangers of overhunting.
Would you like to draw an adorable baby seal? Now you can, with the help of this easy, step-by-step baby animal drawing guide. You will need a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Baby Seal
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two curved lines. Notice that the lines curve in opposite directions and overlap each other. This outlines the seal's back and the top of its head.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a series of "U" shaped lines to sketch the seal's snout. Notice the two curved lines in a "W" shape that form the upper lip.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend a long, curved line from below the chin. Allow it to run relatively parallel to the shape of the back, drawing closer to form the base of the tail.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the flippers or fins of the tail. Extend a curved line from each side of the base of the tail. Draw a "U" shaped line in between these lines. Then, attach each side of the "U" shaped line to the sides of the tail using a series of short, curved, overlapping lines.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the seal's flipper. Extend a curved line from the middle of the torso, extending past the edge of the body. Then, draw a series of overlapping curved lines to form the sides of the flipper.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 6
6.Erase guide lines from the flipper.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the remaining flipper. Extend a curved line from the neck, below the chin. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to enclose the flipper.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 8
8. Draw the seal's eyes. For each eye, start with a large circle. Then, draw a slightly smaller circle within the first. Finally, draw a small oval within the inner circle. Above each eye, use short lines to enclose a curved shape that is pointed on both ends. This indicates the eyebrow.
Baby Seal Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the seal's nose and fur. Draw a curved "V" shaped line on the snout to indicate the nose. Beneath the nose, draw many dots to texture the upper lip. Finally, draw several small circles and ovals on the seal's back to give it a spotted pattern.
Complete Baby Seal Drawing
10. Color your baby seal drawing. Many seals are grey in color, but they may also be brown or even solid white.
Don't let the cuteness stop there. Check out our animal drawing guides, where you will find dozens of cute baby animals to draw as your very own.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Best Things to draw Tutorials post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).