Learn how to draw a great looking Book with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Book.
Today, books are familiar sights in homes and classrooms around the world. Books may be sheets of paper, called leaves, hinged together on one side, or they may be electronic representations of the same material. Electronic books, called eBooks, can be read on computers, tablets, phones, and dedicated e-readers.
Books as we know them have not always been around, however. In early history, tablets were used to record information.
A tablet was a piece of stone or clay on which words were carved. Some tablets were made in the shape of cylinders.
Later, scrolls, or long sheets of paper rolled around a spindle, were used. By the end of the first century C.E., the book had taken its familiar form, then called a codex.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
For many thousands of years, books were rare and expensive, as they had to be written and drawn by hand. In 1450, German inventor Johannes Gutenberg developed the first printing press with movable type. From that time, books became more affordable and available.
What books have the most copies in print? The Bible has over 5 billion copies in circulation, nearly one for every person on earth; billions of copies have also been made of the political work Quotations from Chairman Mao.
Don Quixote, written in 1605, has sold 500 million copies; A Tale of Two Cities, 1859, 200 million copies; and Lord of the Rings, 1954, 150 million copies.
In this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial, you will learn to draw a three dimensional book. Will this book be your math book, your journal, or your favorite story? The choice is yours.
All you will need to complete this drawing is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and a good eraser. You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, markers, or paints to shade your finished drawing.
In each step, you will see a detailed illustration along with explanatory text. Pay special attention to the light blue lines, as these indicate new lines to be added. Now, hit the books and start drawing!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Book
How to Draw a Great Looking Book for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a straight, diagonal line. This will become the spine of the book.
Easy Book Drawing - Step 2
2. From the lower end of the first line, extend a second straight line. This forms the bottom edge of the book.
Easy Book Drawing - Step 3
3. From the top of the original line, extend a third straight line. This will form the top edge of the book.
Easy Book Drawing - Step 4
4. Enclose the shape with a straight line. You now have a rhombus, a shape similar to a diamond. This shape will form the front cover of your book.
Easy Book Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a short, curved line shaped like the letter "C" at three of the book's corners. These lines form the edges of the pages.
Easy Book Drawing - Step 6
6. Connect each set of "C" shaped lines using a long, straight line. You now have the basic three dimensional outline of the book.
Easy Book Drawing - Step 7
7. Add detail to the cover of your book. Using two straight lines, draw a backwards letter "L" parallel to the bottom and edge of the cover. Draw another straight line along the spine, from the top of the cover to the "L" shaped line. Then, draw two straight, parallel lines across the cover of the book, in the area that the title would be printed.
Add More Details to Your Book Picture - Step 8
8. Add texture to the book's pages. Along the bottom of side of the book, draw several straight, parallel lines between the "C" shaped lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Book Drawing - Step 9
9. Give the book a back cover. Enclose a narrow space along the bottom of the spine and bottom of the pages using a short, curved line and several long, straight lines.
Color Your Book Drawing
10. Color your book. Be creative!
For more great Back to School drawing tutorials, see the 39 Back to School Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Book Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).