Learn how to draw a great looking Carnation with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Carnation.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The carnation is a flower native to the Mediterranean region. Also called clove pink or grenadine, carnations have a spicy aroma and have been cultivated for at least 2,000 years.
The name "carnation" may be derived from the term "coronation," as flowers were often used in ceremonial crowns, or from the Latin carnis or incarnacyon due to the flowers flesh-toned hues.
Carnations have been bestowed with much symbolism, often concerning love. White carnations can mean love or good luck.
They are often worn at weddings. In 1907, the pink carnation was selected as a symbol for Mother's Day, as some believe they were born of the Virgin Mary's tears, representing her motherly love.
Light red carnations mean admiration, and dark red carnations symbolize deep affection; they are often exchanged on Valentine's Day. Green carnations are worn on St. Patrick's Day.
Cartoon flowers have been popular in animation since its advent. Disney's "Silly Symphony: Springtime," released in 1929, is an early example.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a carnation? This easy, step-by-step cartoon flower drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your flower with crayons, markers, or paints.
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Chrysanthemum or Rose Tattoo Drawing tutorials.
See also, Drawing a Lily for Kids.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Carnation
How to Draw a Great Looking Carnation for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the first of the petals. The central petal has an irregular shape, created using a jagged wavy line. Then, enclose equally wavy petals on all sides of the first petal.
Easy Carnation Drawing - Step 2
2. Continue to enclose the shapes of petals around the central portion of the flower. Employ a jagged, wavy line for each.
Easy Carnation Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, draw the sepal, the bulbous green section that attaches the flower to the stem. First, draw a "W" beneath the flower. Extend a curved line from the side of the "W," then double it back upon itself to meet the flower.
Easy Carnation Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin drawing the petals of the second flower. Use a wavy, jagged line to enclose the irregular shape of the central petal. Then, use similar lines to enclose additional petals on all sides of the first.
Easy Carnation Drawing - Step 5
5. Continue to draw additional petals along the edges of the flower, using a jagged, wavy line to enclose each.
Easy Carnation Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a curved "W" shaped line beneath the flower. Enclose a "U" shaped line beneath it to form the sepal.
Easy Carnation Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend a pair of narrowly spaced, straight, parallel lines from the bottom of each sepal. Connect each set of lines at the end using a short line. These are the flower's stems. Notice that the stems are slanted at opposite angles and that they cross one another at the bottom.
Add More Details to Your Carnation Picture - Step 8
8. Erase a portion of the stem in order to draw leaflets. Extend curved lines upwards from the bottom portion of the stem. Connect them at the top with a curved "W" shaped line that crosses the stem.
Complete the Outline of Your Carnation Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw small leaves extending from the stems. For each leaf, use two curved lines and allow them to meet at a point. Draw another curved line down the center of the leaf to indicate the vein.
Color Your Carnation Drawing
Color your carnation. These flowers are often found in shades of pink, white, purple, red, and even green. Then, check out our other cartoon plant drawing guides.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Easy to Draw Flower Drawing Tutorials post.
For more easy flower drawing tutorials, see the collection of Plant Drawing Ideas for Kids.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Carnation Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).