Learn how to draw a great looking Chrysanthemum with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Chrysanthemum.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The chrysanthemum or mum is a popular garden flower. It is native to Europe and Asia. Its name is derived from the ancient Greek words for "golden flower." Chrysanthemums have many overlapping petals, similar in shape to the dandelion or carnation.
Chrysanthemums have been richly adorned in symbolism and tradition. In Asia, they signify life and rebirth. In Europe, they are given as gifts to express sympathy, especially in regards to funerals. In the Americas, they are seen as a cheerful flower. Red chrysanthemums can mean love, and white chrysanthemums, loyalty.
The dahlia is a flower with a similar appearance. It is related to the sunflower, chrysanthemum, and daisy. The plants are native to Central and South America. The largest are the "dinnerplate dahlias," the blooms of which can span 12 inches. Dahlias may symbolize everlasting bonds and are given as wedding gifts. Despite the name of the true-crime film Black Dahlia, there are actually no dahlias that are black in color.
The darkest shade is a deep burgundy. Dahlias are also edible! They may adorn cakes or salads.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon featuring a chrysanthemum or dahlia? This easy, step-by-step cartoon flower drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. No doubt you'll also want to color this stunning flower!
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Rose Tattoo or Lavender Drawing tutorials.
See also, Art Project: Drawing a Lily.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Chrysanthemum
How to Draw a Great Looking Chrysanthemum for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will serve as a guide to shaping your flower.
Easy Chrysanthemum Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw pairs of curved lines within the circle, extending from the outer edge toward the center. Allow each pair to meet at a gentle point. These are the flower's first petals.
Easy Chrysanthemum Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw irregular rounded shapes overlapping the edges of the circle.
Easy Chrysanthemum Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the original circle and any overlapping lines from the petals. Then, begin the next layer of petals. Extend pairs of curved lines outward, allowing each pair to meet at a gentle point.
Easy Chrysanthemum Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw more petals between the existing petals. Draw curved lines from the sides of the petals, and allow each pair to meet at a point in between.
Easy Chrysanthemum Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw even more petals - larger petals. Extend pairs of curved lines from the tips and sides of the existing petals. Allow them to meet at points to enclose the rounded triangular shapes.
Easy Chrysanthemum Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw another layer of petals. These should be longer than any of the previous petals. Draw one petal between each pair of petals, sometimes allowing the petals to overlap.
Add More Details to Your Chrysanthemum Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a final layer of petals protruding from between each of the existing petals.
Complete the Outline of Your Chrysanthemum Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the flower's leaves. Use a series of curved lines to outline the lobed shape of the leaves, which resemble oak leaves. Extend a curved line to form the central vein of each leaf. From it, extend additional veins in each lobe.
Color Your Chrysanthemum Drawing
Color your cartoon chrysanthemum. Fall mums are often white, orange, yellow, or red. They can also be pink or purple, as can the similarly shaped dahlia. Some are striped, have different colors at their tips, or bear petals of alternating colors.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Easy Flower Art Projects for Kids post.
For more easy flower drawing tutorials, see the collection of Simple Plant Drawing Tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Chrysanthemum Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).