Learn how to draw a great looking Cow with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cow.
Are you in the moo'd to get down on the farm? Grab your sketchbook. You can learn how to draw a cow with the help of this easy, step-by-step drawing guide.
Did you ever notice that cows are roughly rectangular in shape? You can keep that in mind as you trace the curved lines of this cartoon cow.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? All cows are female. The males of the species - which are called cattle or bovines in gender-neutral terms - are referred to as bulls. You can learn how to draw a bull here.
You can even get up close and personal with a bovine friend as you sketch this bull head and face drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cow
How to Draw a Great Looking Cow for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the cartoon cow outline by drawing its eyes. First, draw two curved lines to indicate the tops of the cheeks.
Then enclose three successively smaller ovals on top of each cheek. Shade between the smallest ovals to indicate the pupils. Shade a curved shape above each eye to indicate the eyebrows.
Easy Cow Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, draw the cow’s nose and mouth. Use a long curved line in a roughly spiral shape to enclose the mouth.
Then, use short curved lines to form the nostrils, the corner of the mouth, and contour the middle of the nose.
Easy Cow Drawing - Step 3
3. Use curved lines to sketch the cow’s head.
This includes three lines that meet in a gentle point for the ears, the curved and rounded triangular horns, overlapping lines that form the base of the horns, and lines that meet at jagged points to form a tuft of hair on top of the head.
Learn more about how to draw a cow head and face.
Easy Cow Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a wavy curved line and double it back upon itself to form the cow’s leg. Notice the bulges at the top of the leg, knee, and hoof.
Connect the leg to the mouth with a curved line, outlining the cow’s chest. Use another curved line to contour the shoulder.
Easy Cow Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the remaining foreleg using a curved line that doubles back on itself.
Then, draw the rounded, heart-shaped hooves using two overlapping lines for each. Extend a line from the back of the leg to form the belly.
Easy Cow Drawing - Step 6
6. Next, draw the cow’s back and boney hips. Use a series of overlapping curved lines.
Easy Cow Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend the previous line and double it back upon itself to form the rear leg. At the bottom of the leg, use two overlapping curved lines to enclose the hoof.
From the hips, extend a pair of curved lines and allow them to meet at a point. This is the cow’s tail. Draw a tuft of hair at the end of the tail, using curved lines that meet at jagged points.
Add More Details to Your Cow Picture - Step 8
8. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the cow’s udder, her remaining leg, and her hoof.
Complete the Outline of Your Cow Drawing - Step 9
9. Many cows have spots. Use curved lines to enclose irregular shapes of different sizes all over the cow’s back.
Color Your Cow Drawing
Your cartoon cow outline is now complete. Color your character. Many milk cows are white with black or brown spots. Others are solid-colored or have other markings.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cow Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).