Learn how to draw a great looking Chair with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Chair.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
A chair is a common piece of furniture throughout the world. It is also one of the most ancient. The oldest known chairs date to about 2600 B.C.E. and were from ancient Egypt.
Chairs take on many forms. Traditionally, wooden chairs were upright in form with a cloth or woven cushion.
Today, chairs range from cloth sacks filled with styrofoam beans (bean bag chairs) and hammock-like chairs strung on a frame to single-piece chairs made entirely of plastic.
Some chairs, such as the office or video gamer chairs, serve specific purposes and are ergonomically designed to support the body.
Chairs also have symbolic meanings. Heavy, elaborate chairs called thrones have long been used to distinguish royalty and other important people.
To "chair" a meeting or an event means to preside over it, being given a symbolic seat of honor. Offering someone a chair can indicate friendship.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon chair? This easy, step-by-step cartoon object drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Cartoon House, Bed, and Door.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Chair
How to Draw a Great Looking Chair for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the seat of the chair. First, use four curved lines to outline a parallelogram with rounded corners. Then, transform the shape into a three-dimensional seat by drawing curved lines parallel to the near sides.
Easy Chair Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the sides of the chair. Extend three short lines from beneath the seat. Connect them using long lines, forming the rectangular sides.
Easy Chair Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw the chair leg, erasing as necessary. Extend three long, straight lines from beneath the seat, at the corner where the sides meet. Connect the lines at the bottom using short, straight lines.
Easy Chair Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the chair's second leg. Extend three long, straight lines from beneath the seat and the chair's side. Connect them at the bottom using short, straight lines.
Easy Chair Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the chair's rear leg, which extends to form the back of the chair. Draw three long, curved, parallel lines. Two of the lines should cross behind the seat and side of the chair, becoming partially hidden. Connect the lines at the top and bottom using short, straight lines.
Easy Chair Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw three parallel curved lines upward from the opposite corner of the chair. Connect them at the top using straight lines. Then, draw two curved lines downward beneath the chair. One line should travel from beneath the chair and disappear behind the front leg. Connect the other to the same leg using a short line. This forms the chair's fourth and final leg.
Easy Chair Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw rungs between the front and back legs of the chair, erasing as necessary. Draw three parallel lines between the front and rear legs. Connect the lines using short, straight lines where they meet the rear leg.
Add More Details to Your Chair Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the backrest. Connect the sides of the chair back using a straight line. Then, draw a straight line upwards from each side. Connect them at the top using a long, curved line. Give the backrest a three-dimensional appearance by drawing a rectangle on one side and a curved line across the bottom.
Complete the Outline of Your Chair Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a rung between the sides of the chair back, erasing as necessary. Draw three straight lines between the sides. Connect them on one end using straight lines.
Color Your Chair Drawing
Color your cartoon chair. Wooden chairs are naturally brown in color, but chairs can be painted to match any environment you may draw. Chair cushions are often made of brightly colored fabrics.
Don't just sit there! Pull up a chair for your favorite characters.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Chair Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).