Learn how to draw a great looking Door with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Door drawing.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, infinite."
- English poet William Blake
Creak! Does the idea of a creaky door send chills up your spine? Or does an open door remind you of the colorfully painted rowhouses of your favorite childhood television series? In literature, doors are often used to represent choices and the outcomes the character must face.
Although inanimate, doors have played a role in many cartoons and films. For example, in the 2001 film Monsters, Inc., doors similar to the one in this tutorial served as windows into the human world, the basis of the monsters' economy. Much of the film's plot revolves around finding or restoring the correct door to get Boo home.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon door? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial will help you to do so by using geometric shapes. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. The world of art is an open door to you!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Door
How to Draw a Great Looking Door for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a straight horizontal line. This will form the bottom of the door frame.
Easy Door Drawing - Step 2
2. Use three straight lines to enclose a vertical rectangle, using the original line as its base. Then, use three straight lines to enclose another, slightly smaller rectangle parallel to the first. This outlines the frame of the door.
Easy Door Drawing - Step 3
3. Use three straight lines to draw a trapezoid, using one of the vertical beams of the smaller rectangle to form one of the sides of the shape. This outlines the three-dimensional shape of the open door.
Easy Door Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase any lines present within the bounds of the door.
Easy Door Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a straight, vertical line parallel to the "near," or longer, side of the door. This gives the door dimension, a three-dimensional appearance.
Easy Door Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a small circle in the middle of the door, near the three-dimensional side. This forms the doorknob. Use a curved line to enclose a partial circular shape behind it.
Easy Door Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a smaller rectangle within the shape of the door. This will be used to embellish the door with dimensional designs.
Add More Details to Your Door Picture - Step 8
8. Erase a portion of the inner rectangle, just above the middle. Use a straight line to enclose the bottom side of the upper rectangle.
Complete the Outline of Your Door Drawing - Step 9
9. Erase equally spaced portions of the bottom shape. Then, use straight lines to transform the line portions into narrow vertical rectangles.
Color Your Door Drawing
Color your door. Doors of this type are often made of wood and are therefore brown. They can be painted, however, becoming any color of the rainbow.
Who is coming through your door? Tell a story when you learn to draw your very own cartoon characters.
For more great Really Easy drawing tutorials, see the 51 Best Really Easy Drawing Tutorials post.
Door Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).