Learn how to draw a great looking Cute Starfish with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Cute Starfish.
Starfish, also called sea stars, are ocean dwelling animals. They live all over the world, from tropical coral reefs to frigid polar ice caps, from the seashore to the deepest abysses.
They are ancient animals, appearing long ago in the fossil record. Starfish are predators; although they move slowly, they hunt other animals such as corals or molluscs.
Many sea stars have five arms, as in our drawing, but others have six, seven, ten, or fifteen arms. Starfish can regrow a lost arm; some can even grow into two separate individuals if cut in half.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The starfish in our drawing guide resembles Peach from Disney's Finding Nemo (2003), who was often seen sticking to the aquarium glass.
Did you know? The starfish does not actually have suction cups on its underside. Instead, it has "tube feet." Tube feet use chemicals rather than suction to adhere to objects.
Other famous starfish include Patrick Star from Nickelodeon's animated series, Spongebob Squarepants.
Starfish are also frequent design features in art, decor, clothing, and accessories.
Would you like to draw a colorful starfish? This simple, step-by-step starfish drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, or markers to highlight your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cute Starfish
How to Draw a Great Looking Cute Starfish for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a curved line like a rounded, upside down letter "V." Notice how the edges of the "V" flare outward. This forms the first arm of the starfish.
Easy Cute Starfish Drawing - Step 2
2. From the flared edges of the first "V," draw another rounded "V" on each side. Your starfish now has three arms.
Easy Cute Starfish Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two more rounded, "V" shaped lines, completely enclosing the figure. You now have the outline of a five-armed starfish.
Easy Cute Starfish Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the starfish's eyes. In the middle of the starfish, below the first arm, draw two ovals. Draw another oval inside each oval. Finally, draw a very small oval inside the other two. Shade between the two smallest ovals, forming the pupil.
Easy Cute Starfish Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the starfish's mouth. Outline the smiling mouth using two curved lines. Then, draw a curved line within the mouth to form the tongue. Shade the mouth outside the tongue.
Easy Cute Starfish Drawing - Step 6
6. Next, begin to draw the tube feet on the starfish's arms. Draw a series of ovals down the middle of each arm.
Easy Cute Starfish Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a series of ovals representing tube feet on each of the starfish's remaining arms.
Add More Details to Your Cute Starfish Picture - Step 8
8. Detail and texture the starfish. Draw wavy, curved lines parallel to the edges of its body, as well as small circles of different sizes in various areas across the animal.
Complete the Outline of Your Cute Starfish Drawing - Step 9
9. Give the starfish additional texture by drawing protrusions at the sides of the body. Use one or more curved, "U" shaped lines for each. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Color Your Cute Starfish Drawing
10. Color your starfish. This animal comes in a wide range of colors. For example, the leather star is white with orange spots. The morning sun star is pink and yellow. The royal starfish is a deep purple or blue with orange edges. The Pacific blood star is bright red, and the blue sea star is, as its name suggests, blue in color. Be creative!
Would you like to craft your own underwater world? Check out our collection of animal drawing guides, where you'll find deep sea dwellers such as sharks, whales, giant squid, and more.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Best Things to draw Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Cute Starfish Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).