Learn how to draw a great looking Dandelion with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Dandelion.
Dandelions are perennial flowers - flowers that return year after year - but are often considered weeds. The fluffy, floating seeds and rapid growth habits allow dandelions to spread quickly - much to the chagrin of homeowners who take pride in an immaculate green lawn.
Dandelions have many overlapping petals, similar in shape to the Chrysanthemum or carnation.
Did you know, though, that dandelions haven't always been considered a weed? Early European settlers brought the plant to the Americas as a food source.
The yellow blossoms can be eaten raw, fried, or made into a bitter wine.
The leaves can be eaten as salad, and the roots can be dried, ground, and steeped to provide a coffee substitute.
Dandelion roots and leaves have also been used for medicinal purposes.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Today, many children enjoy picking dandelions and blowing on the ripe seed heads, sending the winged seeds aloft.
Some folklore holds that if you make a wish and then blow all the seeds from a dandelion in a single breath, that wish is bound to come true. Sometimes, dandelions are used as symbols of love.
Would you like to draw a dandelion flower? This simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial makes doing so easy and fun.
You will learn to draw this flower using simple lines and shapes. All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper.
You may also wish to use crayons or something similar - especially in shades of yellow and green - to shade your finished drawing.
See also, Art Project: Drawing a Sunflower.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Dandelion
How to Draw a Great Looking Dandelion for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin drawing the flower's narrow petals. For each petal, extend two parallel curved lines. Connect the lines on one end using a short, curved line. Notice that the sides of the petals connect to one another in sharp points.
Easy Dandelion Drawing - Step 2
2. Some distance from the first set of petals, draw a second set. Again, use sets of parallel lines and connect them using short, curved lines on the ends. Connect the petals to one another, allowing the lines to meet in sharp points. These petals should resemble a mirror image of the first.
Easy Dandelion Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, draw additional petals to connect the existing sets of petals. For each petal, use a set of parallel lines connected on the end by short curved lines. The petals should connect to each other in sharp points.
Easy Dandelion Drawing - Step 4
4. Fill in petals between the existing petals. Use parallel lines and "V" shaped lines to craft the petals.
Easy Dandelion Drawing - Step 5
5. Fill in the gap in the front of the flower with petals. Draw short, horizontal curved lines to indicate the edge of the flower, and then use pairs of parallel, curved lines for each petal.
Easy Dandelion Drawing - Step 6
6. Fill in spaces between the petals with additional petals. Use pairs of curved lines along with "V" shaped lines for each.
Easy Dandelion Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend a pair of long, curved, parallel lines downward from the flower to indicate the stem. Then, from the stem, draw two curved lines at a diagonal angle. Allow the lines to connect in a sharp point.
Add More Details to Your Dandelion Picture - Step 8
8. Craft the leaf using curved lines. Extend each squiggly line from the tip of the leaf vein to the middle of the leaf. Connect with the leaf vein to enclose the shape. Repeat on each side.
Complete the Outline of Your Dandelion Drawing - Step 9
9. Then, draw the spiky portions of the leaf by forming small, curved triangles. Use the leaf vein for one side of each triangle, along with two curved lines for each.
Color Your Dandelion Drawing
10. Color your dandelion. Dandelion flowers are yellow in color with deep green leaves and stems.
Would you like to try your skills at drawing other plants and flowers? Allow our plant drawing tutorials to be your guide.
For more great Flower drawing tutorials, see the 29 Easy and Fun Flower Drawing Ideas post.
For more easy flower drawing tutorials, see the collection of 29 Easy Flower Drawing Tutorials.
For all flower drawings, see the Ideas and Tutorials to Draw Flowers for Kids page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dandelion Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).