Learn how to draw a great looking Donut with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Donut.
People have enjoyed foods similar to the donut since ancient times. This is evidenced by archaeological finds.
The modern donut can be traced to early America, when Dutch settlers brought the tradition of olykoek or "oily cakes" from their homeland.
The donut first appeared in a cookbook in 1803, and by the mid-1800s, donuts looked and tasted as they still do today.
In popular culture, such as movies and television shows, donuts by the dozen often come in pink boxes. Why? Refugees from other lands settled in California.
One family started a successful donut business. They desired red boxes for their donuts since they viewed red as a lucky color. However, pink boxes were cheaper so they used these.
Not only were the donuts themselves delicious, but since the shops were located near Hollywood, the donuts and their boxes were often used as movie props.
Thus, plain pink donut boxes entered into popular culture.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Different types of donuts are eaten all around the world. For example, in Japan, fried dough similar to donut holes are filled with a sweet bean paste. In India, a savory rather than sweet type of donut is made with lentil flour.
Other round, filled, and twisted pastries exist around the world.
Would you like to draw a tasty donut? Doing so is easier than ever with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also want to color your drawing using markers, crayons, or colored pencils.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Donut
How to Draw a Great Looking Donut for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a large oval. This shape outlines the top of the donut.
Easy Donut Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a small oval in the center of the large oval. This indicates the hole in the middle of the donut. Then, draw a curved line through the center of the small oval, parallel to the top of the oval. This gives the donut dimension, revealing the back side of the donut's center.
Easy Donut Drawing - Step 3
3. From one side of the oval, draw a long, curved line. Loop it beneath the oval, remaining parallel with it, and attach it to the oval on the opposite side. This outlines the front side of the donut.
Easy Donut Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a long, wavy line, beginning on one side of the large oval and following its perimeter. Notice how the waves of the line have different heights and depths, and how it at times crosses into the oval. This indicates the edge of the donut's dripping frosting.
Easy Donut Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the guide lines from the top of the donut.
Easy Donut Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a wavy line in the center of the donut, between the parallel lines. This indicates frosting dripping into the center of the donut.
Easy Donut Drawing - Step 7
7. Erase guide lines from the center of the donut.
Add More Details to Your Donut Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a curved line just above the frosting's edge, giving dimension to the donut. Then, begin to draw sprinkles. For each sprinkle, enclose an irregular bean shape, narrow and rounded on each end.
Complete the Outline of Your Donut Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw additional sprinkles, narrow and rounded, until the entire top of the donut is covered with the small, sugary candies.
Color Your Donut Drawing
10. Color your donut, its frosting, and its sprinkles. What flavor will your frosting be? Will it be dark brown chocolate, white vanilla, lemony yellow, pink strawberry, or something else?
For more great Food drawing tutorials, see the 51 Step-by-Step Food Drawing Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Donut Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).