Learn how to draw a great looking Dress with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Dress.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Dresses are articles or clothing with a long history. Also called gowns or frocks, dresses are defined by a bodice that covers the torso and a skirt that covers the legs.
In ancient times, and in some cultures today, clothing for both men and women fit this description. Garments were made from a single piece of cloth or several sewn together, tied at the waist with a belt or sash.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In the Middle Ages, young boys in Europe wore dresses until they reached the age of "breeching," or wearing pants. This age varied, with one prince famously wearing dresses until he was in his twenties! The designs or decorations on some dresses indicated a woman's social status.
Today, dresses are generally considered the attire of women and girls. These range from simple dresses that resemble a long t-shirt or sweater, to the elaborately decorated dresses worn at proms, weddings, and other special occasions.
In 2017, one such dress set the record for being the longest ever. A wedding dress in a French town famous for lace production had a train, or long skirt, nearly 5 miles in length. That's long enough to cover Mount Everest!
Would you like to draw your own fashions? This easy, step-by-step dress drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Cartoon Princess, Unicorn, and Cartoon Castle.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Dress
How to Draw a Great Looking Dress for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by draw a "V" shape to form the neck of the dress. Then, extend one of the lines past the bottom of the "V." At the top of the "V," draw two short, nearly straight lines extending outward. From each of these, draw a short, curved line, downward. Overlap another, longer curved line. This outlines the bodice, or top portion, of the dress.
Easy Dress Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line across the bottom of the bodice. From each end of the line, extend a short line downward. Enclose a rectangular shape using a fourth line. This forms the dress's waist or belt.
Easy Dress Drawing - Step 3
3. From each side of the belt, extend a long, curved line downward. Connect the lines using a curved, wavy line, enclosing the skirt of the dress.
Easy Dress Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw curved lines upwards from the bottom of the skirt, indicating folds in the fabric. Draw short, curved lines just above the belt.
Easy Dress Drawing - Step 5
5. Detail the belt with a bow. Draw an oval in the middle of the belt to form the knot. extend two lines from each side of the knot, enclosing the ribbon. Indicate creases in the ribbon by extending short lines outward from the bow.
Easy Dress Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend two sets of long, curved lines downward from the knot, lengthening the ribbon. Enclose the end of each ribbon using a short, straight line, and indicate creases by placing short lines near the knot.
Easy Dress Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw lace or ruffles at the top of each sleeve. Do this using a curved, wavy line.
Add More Details to Your Dress Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a set of curved lines from each side of the dress, forming the sleeves. Enclose the end of each sleeve using a curved line. Draw lines of various lengths upon each sleeve to indicate folds in the fabric.
Complete the Outline of Your Dress Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw lace or ruffles lining the neck, using wavy lines. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Color Your Dress Drawing
10. Color your dress. Cloth can be dyed in any color imaginable, so be creative!Is your dress fit for a princess? Give her a castle. You can even add fairy tale creatures such as a dragon or a unicorn. Or, check out our people drawing guides and learn to craft your own character.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Easy to Draw Ideas Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Dress Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).