Draw a great looking Face Pixel Art with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
Pixel art is a digital art form that uses pixels to create shapes, objects, characters and cartoons. A pixel is the smallest unit on a computer screen. With the right balance of shapes and colors, the artist can create vibrant cartoons that look like a drawing.
Pixel art tends to use as few colors as possible to make the image unified. In fact, some pixel artists can make cartoon shapes with only three or four colors. You can make pixel art on a computer or draw it on a piece of graph paper to capture the "pixel" look.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Many people like pixel art because they can break it down into simple shapes. This guide shows you how to make a cartoon face with square and rectangle shapes. No complicated lines or challenging shapes--anybody can learn how to draw a face with this easy guide.
When you're ready to start, grab a few pieces of graph paper, a pencil and coloring tools. Note that this piece uses thick lines as well as thin lines. Don't fill in the thin lines with black--you'll need them at the end of the guide.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Face Pixel Art
1. Start with two sets of rectangular lines. Add an L-shape between them, then add two squares on either side.
2. Fill in the shapes that you made in 1 with black. Draw a vertical rectangle in the center, then add a square at the bottom. Add three short rectangles to complete the nose with a longer rectangle underneath.
3. Continue filling in the shapes you drew previously. Draw a short rectangle underneath, then use squares to connect it to the upper line. Repeat this process underneath the mouth, making sure that the lines are parallel to each other.
4. Draw identical rectangles with single squares over the eyes. For the left side of the face, start with two vertical rectangles and add a horizontal rectangle near the top. Use squares and rectangles to complete the ear.
5. Repeat 4 on the right side of the face, making sure that it lines up with the first side that you drew. Add two short rectangles with squares to add depth to the ears.
6. Draw a long vertical rectangle on the left side of the head. Add a horizontal rectangle in the middle, then use more rectangles to connect it to the face.
7. Repeat this process to make the top of the head. Make sure that the shapes line up with the dome shape underneath.
8. Sketch thin, jagged lines around the top of the head and on different areas of the face. Don't outline these lines in black--you'll need them to keep the colors separate.
9. Draw more squares and rectangles around the eyes, ears, nose and mouth.
10. You've completed your cartoon face! You can color the skin and hair any shade that you want--just use the thin lines to keep the base color and shadows separate. Use darker shades to fill in most of the shapes with thin lines.
Color the shapes on the nose with a lighter shade to make a highlight.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).