Learn how to draw a great looking Flamingo with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Flamingo.
Six species of flamingo live in tropical regions around the world - the Americas, Africa, and Asia. The birds are highly social. In Africa, flocks of flamingos sometimes number into the millions.
The word flamingo comes from the Spanish and Portuguese word flamengo, meaning "flame colored." This was used to describe the flamingo's bright plumage.
The flamingo can be seen on Peruvian pottery dating back 2,000 years. Flamingos are frequently seen in popular culture. In the United States, plastic pink flamingos are popular lawn ornaments.
These are seen as symbols of vacations and summer. As such, similar figures can be seen on clothing, accessories, car air fresheners, and much more.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Flamingos also inspire architecture, music, and other artwork. For example, one Las Vegas hotel is known as the Flamingo, and bands and albums have been named after the animal as well.
Would you like to draw a pink flamingo? Doing so is easier than ever with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also use all of your pink markers, colored pencils, and crayons to shade your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Flamingo
How to Draw a Great Looking Flamingo for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form the flamingo's head. Then, extend a pair of parallel, loosely "S" shaped curved lines from the circle. Notice that one line is longer than the other. This forms the flamingo's sinuous neck.
Easy Flamingo Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the flamingo's beak. Draw two curved lines extending diagonally from the head, and allow them to curve steeply downward before meeting in a gentle point. Notice that the flamingo's beak is large and hooked.
Easy Flamingo Drawing - Step 3
3. Next, draw the flamingo's body. Sketch a large oval at the base of the neck.
Easy Flamingo Drawing - Step 4
4. Detail the contours of the body, including the hips and tail feathers. To do this, extend the long line of the neck into the oval that forms the body, then back out. Connect it once again to the oval, enclosing a lumpy, curved triangle. Then, sketch the tail feathers using combinations of long and short lines to give the tail a bushy appearance. The feathers should resemble downward drooping triangles.
Easy Flamingo Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the guide lines left by the original circle and oval. Notice that part of the circle is left to differentiate the head from the neck.
Easy Flamingo Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the first of the flamingo's long legs. Use a set of roughly parallel lines, but note how the lines diverge at the hip, knee, and foot. Enclose the foot using two upside down "U" shaped lines that meet in points to form the toes.
Easy Flamingo Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the second leg emerging from behind the first, noting the bend of the knee. Again, use "U" shaped lines to enclose the foot, simultaneously forming the toes.
Add More Details to Your Flamingo Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the bird's feathers. Use overlapping long and short lines to add texture to the body.
Complete the Outline of Your Flamingo Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the flamingo's face. Draw a shaded dot to form the eye, and connect it to the sides of the face using two curved lines. Draw another curved line down the center of the beak, and a final line crossing it near the tip.
Color Your Flamingo Drawing
10. Color your flamingo. Healthy flamingos are bright pink in color, due to a nutrient in the food they like to eat. Some flamingos' colors fade to white.
Birds of a feather flock together - why not draw a whole flock of flamingos and give them a tropical home using our waterfall and palm tree. Or, check out other feathered friends with our wide selection of bird drawing guides.
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Easy and Fun Bird Drawing Ideas post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Flamingo Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).