Learn how to draw a great looking Foo Dog with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Foo Dog drawing.
Chinese guardian lions (often called "foo dogs" in English) are an important part of Chinese culture. Foo dogs have fierce claws, large fangs and an intimidating stance that makes them the guardians of the house. In Western culture, foo dogs often appear in front of parks and mansions.
If you don't have a stone foo dog, a cartoon foo dog protects your house just as well. All you have to do is sketch a cartoon foo dog with this guide, then fill in the outline with vibrant colors. Your foo dog will leap off the page and protect you if bad spirits enter your room.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
After you complete the sketch, use a black marker, pen or colored pencil to draw a fierce outline.
Next, use crayons, colored pencils, markers, pens or oil pastels to make your foo dog bold and fiery. Come up with your own stories using other characters from Chinese mythology, like birds and dragons.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Foo Dog
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 1
1. Start with three small, equally sized hills to draw the middle of the face. Underneath, sketch a curly M-shape with a large dip in the middle, then draw a parallel line underneath. Above the first line, sketch two semi-circles like orange slices and draw circles inside the shapes.
On top of the eyes, draw curved lines with swirls at both ends. Draw two ovals between the eyes.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a wide W-shape underneath the nose, then sketch an upside-down curve underneath and connect the two lines. Use straight lines and rectangles for the teeth, and add triangles and teardrop shapes for the fangs. Above the eyebrows, draw swirls with curved lines in between.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 3
3. Sketch four swirls on the top of the head like shells. Use triangles for the ears, add curves on either side of the eyes, then drop downward and make a loose W-shape for the jaw.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw small hills on top of the head, and add swirls and curved lines inside each hill. Sketch more swirls on either side of the head.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 5
5. On either side of the face, draw deep curved lines that end in swirls. Sketch lines inside the shapes for added depth. Add two more swirls underneath the jaw, then connect both sides of the face with a single curved line.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 6
6. Add a parallel line underneath the curve, then draw two more parallel lines a half-inch underneath. On the right, sketch a curve that ends in a vertical line. Draw circles in the middle that overlap the lines, and add the details.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 7
7. For the arm, start with a single curve, then draw a straighter curve underneath. Sketch another line to the right, and make a hook shape in the center of the arm. Use round, uneven shapes for the toes and diamonds for the claws. Sketch a circle underneath the paw.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 8
8. Add another curve to the right. Draw loosely curved lines that end at right angles for the feet. Draw circles and diamonds for the toes, then sketch lines inside the leg to give it texture.
Foo Dog Drawing - Step 9
9. Make three overlapping curves for the left back leg. Add circles and diamonds for the toes, then draw lines inside the shape. Use curved lines for the back leg on the right.
Complete Foo Dog Drawing
Get a black pen or marker and outline the entire drawing, then erase the pencil lines. You've completed your cartoon foo dog!
To make your cartoon foo dog bright and colorful, use different shades of pink for the body and orange for the eyes, claws and mane. Use purple for the inside of the mouth and blue for the irises. Leave the teeth white.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Dog Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).