Draw a great looking Kayak with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
A kayak is a small boat or canoe. The kayak traces its history to the native peoples of Greenland and Alaska. These kayaks were made of animal skins stretched over frames of wood or whalebone. They were used for fishing and hunting. The word kayak means "man's boat" or "hunter's boat."
Today, kayaks are made from lightweight plastics, marine quality plywood, or fiberglass and are typically used for recreation. Different types of kayaks hold one, two, or three people. They are steered and propelled with a double-ended paddle. Specialized kayaks go by names such as creek boats, playboats, and wave skis.
Many kayaks, modern and traditional, have a unique feature. The opening of the cockpit is covered so that if the kayak flips over, it can be righted without filling with water or the pilot falling out.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon kayak? This easy, step-by-step cartoon object drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Kayak
1. Begin by drawing a long curved line. This will outline the top of the kayak.
2. Draw another long curved line, connected to the first line on each end. This encloses the shape of the kayak.
3. Draw a curved line down the middle of the kayak, connected at the same points as the previous lines. This outlines the top and side of the kayak.
4. Draw an oval within the top of the kayak. This outlines the cockpit, where the pilot sits.
5. Enclose a curved shape on one side of the oval, using two curved lines. Erase as necessary. This forms the back of the kayak seat.
6. Draw another curved line behind the previous shape. Erase as necessary.
7. Draw a pair of straight lines across the entire drawing, erasing as necessary. This forms the shaft or handle of the paddle.
8. Draw the paddle's blade. Extend a curved line from the handle, and double it back upon itself. Draw a "V" shaped line at the shoulder of the blade.
9. Draw the remaining paddle blade. Extend a curved line and double it back upon itself. Draw a "V" shaped line at the paddle's shoulder.
Color your cartoon kayak. Kayaks often come in bright colors, including red, yellow, blue, and green.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Cute Drawing Ideas Designs post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).