Learn how to draw a great looking Ladybug with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Ladybug.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Ladybug, ladybug, fly away home.
Your house is on fire, and your children are home!"
- A classic nursery rhyme.
Ladybugs, also called lady beetles or ladybird beetles, are a variety of insect found all over the world.
Around 6,000 species have been identified. In general, they are very helpful garden insects, eating the aphids that destroy many garden plants.
It was once thought that the number of spots on a ladybug's back indicated its age in years, but this is now known to be a myth.
Instead, the number of spots and their pattern can be used to identify the variety of ladybug in question. Young ladybugs, called larva, resemble tiny caterpillars that range in color from white to black with orange spots.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
In many cultures throughout history, the ladybug has been considered a symbol of good luck, and images of the beetle are thus used to adorn clothing and other objects.
Today, ladybugs are the logo of choice for such diverse companies as booksellers, clothing makers, and software developers.
One of the most memorable depictions of a ladybug in film is that of Francis in Disney and Pixar's A Bug's Life (1998). Despite being a "lady" bug, Francis makes it clear that this species of insect includes males, as well.
He says to a fly, "Just because I'm a ladybug, that automatically makes me a girl - is that it, Flyboy?" Says the fly: "She's a guy!"
Would you like to draw your very own ladybug? With the help of this simple drawing tutorial, doing so is easy.
All you will need is a pencil, a piece of paper, and perhaps an eraser. You may also wish to use markers, crayons, paints, or colored pencils to shade your finished drawing.
Notice that each step includes both an illustration and explanatory text. New lines in each step are highlighted in blue.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Spider Web with Spider, Bee, and Butterfly.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Cartoon Ladybug
How to Draw a Great Looking Ladybug for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval to form the cartoon ladybug's body.
Easy Ladybug Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a small half circle at one end of the oval. This will form the cartoon ladybug's head. Then, draw a curved line across the body behind the head. This indicates the thorax, or middle body section, of the bug.
Easy Ladybug Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a long, curved line down the length of the ladybug's back. This indicates the split in the ladybug's shell, which allows it to deploy its wings and fly.
Easy Ladybug Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a few small spots on the ladybug's back. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Easy Ladybug Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw more spots on the ladybug's back.
Easy Ladybug Drawing - Step 6
6. Extend two curved lines from the middle of the ladybug's head. These lines form the antennas, sensory organs that the bug uses to smell. On each side of the antennas, draw a tiny half circle to form the beetle's eyes.
Easy Ladybug Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the ladybug's legs. As an insect, your bug should have six legs, three on each side of the body. Draw each leg in segments, using short, slightly curved lines connected at various angles.
Add More Details to Your Ladybug Picture - Step 8
8. Draw two small, straight lines from the central line to the edge of the shell, enclosing a triangle. Erase the base of the triangle. This indention provides lifelike detail to the beetle's shell.
Complete the Outline of Your Ladybug Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a short, curved line across the open triangle formed in the previous step. This indicates the beetle's body visible beneath its shell.
Color Your Ladybug Drawing
10. Color your ladybug. Many ladybugs are red with black spots, but they may also be orange, yellow, brown or even green. Some tropical ladybugs are black with reddish or orange spots; others don't have spots at all, but stripes or wavy bands!
For more great Animal drawing tutorials, see the 100 Cute Animal Drawing Designs post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Ladybug Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).