Learn how to draw a great looking Pug with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Pug.
Pugs are small dogs originally from China. By the late 1500s, traders had brought the dogs to Europe. Their popularity increased as pugs were kept by various royal families. In 1572, the pug became famous for alerting a prince to the danger of approaching assassins.
Because of their pleasant personality and loyalty, pugs are still common companion animals. In fact, that is what they were originally bred for - as companions to imperial family of China.
During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, rich pug owners in Italy dressed their pugs in jackets and pants matching their carriage drivers, and had the dog sit up front.
Josephine, the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte, had her pet pug carry secret messages from the prison - as only the dog had been given the right to visit her.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Pugs have long featured in art as well. Famed painter Francisco Goya immortalized the animal, and pugs were often pictured in portraits with their upper class owners.
In India, interest in pugs surged after one of the breed was used in a series of phone advertisements.
Would you like to draw a pug? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished picture.
See also, Easy Art Project: Drawing a Dog.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Pug
How to Draw a Great Looking Pug for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a round shape, circular, but wider at the base than the top. This will form the dog's head.
Easy Pug Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a long, curved line from the side of the head. Curve the line back upon itself, connecting to the bottom of the head and enclosing a peanut-like shape. This forms the dog's body. Notice the small overlap on the chest, giving the appearance of fur.
Easy Pug Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend two sets of curved lines downward from the chest and belly. These are the dog's front legs. Notice the curvature of the legs and the overlapping lines, indicating fur. Connect the lines on the ends using short, curved lines, forming the feet. Draw a curved line across each foot, and use short, curved lines to distinguish the toes.
Easy Pug Drawing - Step 4
4. Extend two pairs of curved lines downward from back of the body, forming the rear legs. Enclose each foot using a curved line. Band each foot with a curved line, and use short curved lines to indicate the toes.
Easy Pug Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the guide lines from the legs and body.
Easy Pug Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw two large, irregular ovals in the middle of the face. These will form the eyes. Draw a curved line above each eye and a rounded "V" shaped line between them, indicating the wrinkled brow.
Easy Pug Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw an upside down, rounded triangle to form the nose. Connect it to the bottom of the face using curved lines. Draw short, curved lines to indicate fur on the chest and leg.
Add More Details to Your Pug Picture - Step 8
8. Extend a curved line from each side of the head, and enclose an irregular shape. These are the dog's ears.
Complete the Outline of Your Pug Drawing - Step 9
9. To draw the tail, first draw a long, curved line upward from the back of the body. From there, draw a series of short, curved lines to indicate fur. Let the curled tail end in a point, and then reconnect to the body. Detail the face. In each eye, draw a small circle within a circle, and shade between the two. Draw a curved "W" shaped line below the nose, forming the mouth. Draw dots above it.
Color Your Pug Drawing
10. Color your pug. These dogs may be combinations of tan, brown, and black, or they may be solid black.
Draw more of man's best friend with our collection of dog drawing guides.
For more great Dog drawing tutorials, see the 50 Best Dog Drawing Tutorials post.
For more easy dog drawing tutorials, see the collection of Drawings of Dogs Made Easy.
For all dog and canine drawings, see the Drawing Dogs for Kids: Fun and Educational Art Projects page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Pug Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).