The raccoon is a nocturnal mammal native to North and South America. It is characterized by its striped, or ringed, tail and its “mask” of dark fur across its eyes.
This “mask,” along with its clever nature and tendency to raid food from trash cans, has given the raccoon a reputation as a bandit. Their paws, resembling human hands, afford them the unique ability to open many closed containers. Raccoons are very adaptable; they often dwell in cities and are one of very few medium to large sized mammals that have extended their ranges along with human habitation.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Baby raccoons are called kits, and raccoons can live up to 16 years. They have featured in animated films, such as Meeko in Disney’s Pocahontas and RJ in Dreamwork’s Over the Hedge. Cartoon series such as Franklin and PB&J Otter have also featured raccoon characters.
Would you like to draw a cute and crafty raccoon? This simple, step-by-step drawing guide is here to help. You will need only a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to use crayons or something else to shade your finished drawing.
Watch 'How to Draw a Raccoon' Video Tutorial
Like my drawing tutorials? Get more on YouTube:
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Raccoon
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will form the basis for the raccoon’s head.
2. Next, outline the shape of the raccoon’s cheek. Begin drawing a curved line just inside the top of the oval. Bring it outside the oval, and extend it past the oval’s side. Then, double it back in a gentle point to meet the bottom of the oval.
3. Outline the raccoon’s other cheek. Begin your curved line at the top of the oval. Bring the line upwards, then down and through the side of the oval. Extend it past the side of the oval before bending it back to meet the bottom of the oval.
4. Erase the guidelines of the original oval from the figure.
5. Draw the raccoon’s nose. Begin by placing a vertical curved line in the middle of the oval. At the bottom of this line, outline the snout. Use a curved line that extends beyond the face and then connects with the bottom of it, forming an incomplete oval. Use two curved lines to form a rounded triangle at the tip of the nose, and shade within it.
6. Erase the guide lines from the snout. Also erase a portion of the outline between the snout and the face.
7. Outline the raccoon’s body. Extend two broadly spaced curved lines downwards from the head. At the bottom, allow one to curve under until it almost meets the other. Then, outline the legs and feet. Draw a curved line to indicate each leg, and enclose an irregular shape to form each foot.
8. Draw the arms using a pair of curved lines. Complete the hands using “U” shaped lines to form the fingers. Indicate toes on the feet using short, curved lines. Finally, draw the tail using a pair of long, curved lines that meet in a point. Notice how the lines curve outward to give the tail a fluffy appearance. Then, band the tail with pairs of parallel curved lines.
9. Draw the raccoon’s face. For each ear, enclose a curved triangle within a larger curved triangle. Draw curved lines across the face to form the raccoon’s mask. For each eye, draw three successively smaller ovals. Finally, use a curved line to form the raccoon’s smile.
10. Color your raccoon.
Thank You for Signing Up!
Your printable PDF drawing guide is ready for downloading:DOWNLOAD THE DRAWING GUIDE
Liked the drawing guide?
Leave a comment below or follow on Pinterest.