Learn how to draw a great looking Raccoon with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Raccoon.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
The raccoon is a nocturnal mammal native to North and South America. It is characterized by its striped, or ringed, tail and its "mask" of dark fur across its eyes.
This "mask," along with its clever nature and tendency to raid food from trash cans, has given the raccoon a reputation as a bandit.
Their paws, resembling human hands, afford them the unique ability to open many closed containers. Raccoons are very adaptable; they often dwell in cities and are one of very few medium to large sized mammals that have extended their ranges along with human habitation.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Baby raccoons are called kits, and raccoons can live up to 16 years. They have featured in animated films, such as Meeko in Disney's Pocahontas and RJ in Dreamwork's Over the Hedge.
Cartoon series such as Franklin and PB&J Otter have also featured raccoon characters.
Would you like to draw a cute and crafty raccoon? This simple, step-by-step drawing guide is here to help. You will need only a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser.
You may also wish to use crayons or something else to shade your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Desert, Cartoon Forest, and Trash Can.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Raccoon
How to Draw a Great Looking Raccoon for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will form the basis for the raccoon's head.
Easy Raccoon Drawing - Step 2
2. Next, outline the shape of the raccoon's cheek. Begin drawing a curved line just inside the top of the oval. Bring it outside the oval, and extend it past the oval's side. Then, double it back in a gentle point to meet the bottom of the oval.
Easy Raccoon Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the raccoon's other cheek. Begin your curved line at the top of the oval. Bring the line upwards, then down and through the side of the oval. Extend it past the side of the oval before bending it back to meet the bottom of the oval.
Easy Raccoon Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the guidelines of the original oval from the figure.
Easy Raccoon Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the raccoon's nose. Begin by placing a vertical curved line in the middle of the oval. At the bottom of this line, outline the snout. Use a curved line that extends beyond the face and then connects with the bottom of it, forming an incomplete oval. Use two curved lines to form a rounded triangle at the tip of the nose, and shade within it.
Easy Raccoon Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase the guide lines from the snout. Also erase a portion of the outline between the snout and the face.
Easy Raccoon Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline the raccoon's body. Extend two broadly spaced curved lines downwards from the head. At the bottom, allow one to curve under until it almost meets the other. Then, outline the legs and feet. Draw a curved line to indicate each leg, and enclose an irregular shape to form each foot.
Add More Details to Your Raccoon Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the arms using a pair of curved lines. Complete the hands using "U" shaped lines to form the fingers. Indicate toes on the feet using short, curved lines. Finally, draw the tail using a pair of long, curved lines that meet in a point. Notice how the lines curve outward to give the tail a fluffy appearance. Then, band the tail with pairs of parallel curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Raccoon Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the raccoon's face. For each ear, enclose a curved triangle within a larger curved triangle. Draw curved lines across the face to form the raccoon's mask. For each eye, draw three successively smaller ovals. Finally, use a curved line to form the raccoon's smile.
Color Your Raccoon Drawing
10. Color your raccoon.
Are you wild about forest animals? Use our drawing guides to draw a forest and all its woodland creatures.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Raccoon Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).