Learn how to draw a great looking Trash Can with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Trash Can.
The trash can goes by many names - waste container, garbage can, waste bin, dustbin, rubbish bin, or wastebasket.
No matter what we call it, it does a dirty job - it temporarily stores our trash, garbage, refuse, and rubbish.
Despite its lowly function, trash cans are common images. The "Tidyman" - a stick figure dropping paper into a waste bin - is an international symbol used to remind people to properly dispose of an item rather than littering.
A trash can icon is often used on computer desktops for the location of deleted files.
Trash cans are also linked to certain popular characters. Perhaps the most famous is Sesame Street's Oscar the Grouch, who lives in a trash can and is rarely seen outside of it.
Why does Oscar choose such a home? He explains in the song "I Love Trash." The Garbage Pail Kids parody the Cabbage Patch dolls, just as the Grossery Gang and Trash Pack parody the popular Shopkins toy line.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon trash can? This easy, step-by-step cartoon object drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Trash Can
How to Draw a Great Looking Trash Can for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing two long curved lines. Connect them on each end with short curved lines. Then, draw another curved line across the top half of the shape. This is the rim or opening of the trash can.
Easy Trash Can Drawing - Step 2
2. Use overlapping curved lines to sketch the bent side of the trash can. Use another curved line for the can's bottom.
Easy Trash Can Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a curved line extending from just above the bottom of the trash can. Allow it to follow a course roughly parallel to the bottom.
Easy Trash Can Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw an oval that is flattened on the top and bottom. It should cross the bottom of the trash can. Draw another curved line across it to give this lid a three-dimensional shape. Draw a straight line from the trash can rim to the lid to fully enclose the figure.
Easy Trash Can Drawing - Step 5
5. Use pairs of straight lines to outline the five sections of the handle. Connect them with a straight line on each end. Draw a series of straight lines parallel to one side of the handle, and draw straight lines between each of the corners. Draw a small circle to indicate the bolt at each end.
Easy Trash Can Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the trash can's handles, erasing as necessary. For the near handle, outline a "C" shape. For the far handle, use a curved line to make a rounded shape.
Easy Trash Can Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw garbage overflowing from the top of the can, erasing as necessary. Use curved lines to outline the rounded shape of a trash bag, the tied portion, and the irregular shape of the bag end. Cross the bag with another curved line to give it a three-dimensional appearance. Then, outline a paper sack using straight lines that meet at gentle corners.
Add More Details to Your Trash Can Picture - Step 8
8. Draw more garbage, erasing as necessary. Use curved lines to outline an apple core, complete with a stem. Notice the connected "U" shaped lines that outline the edge of the peel. Use curved lines to outline some unidentifiable refuse.
Complete the Outline of Your Trash Can Drawing - Step 9
9. Outline long, narrow rectangles with rounded corners along the trash can's sides.
Color Your Trash Can Drawing
Color your garbage can. Most of these cans are grey in color.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Trash Can Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).