Learn how to draw a great looking Realistic Rose Flower with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Realistic Rose Flower drawing.
"I beg your pardon, I never promised you a rose garden. Along with the sunshine,
there's gotta be a little rain sometime." - "(I Never Promised You a) Rose Garden," song by Lynn Anderson
Would you like to learn how to draw a realistic and beautiful rose flower? This easy, step-by-step flower drawing tutorial can help you master the realistic rose flower outline.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would a rose by any other name still smell as sweet?" According to William Shakespeare, it would. The rose is a much-storied flower. It's been the subject of songs, floriography messages, myths, and gifts of joy and sadness.
There are about 100 species of roses, and most come from the Northern Hemisphere. Roses make beautiful flowers with a pleasant scent. The petals and the fruit of the rose, called rose hips, are used in making foods, teas, and medicines.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Realistic Rose Flower
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 1
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw lines in a curved "Y" shape below the center of the beautiful rosebud. Then, draw more curved lines branching from these. This outlines the tops of many petals.
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw curved lines that meet in inward or outward-facing points above the top of the bloom. Allow the lines to connect, and to reach the top of the rosebud. This outlines more petal tops.
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw another curved, "Y" shaped line beneath the flower, connected to the petals on both sides. On one side, extend a curved line from the top of a petal and wrap it around the flower.
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw long, wavy lines on each side of the flower. Below one petal, draw a long, narrow "Y" shaped line.
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the big, downturned tips of the outer petals. Use long curved lines and double them back upon themselves.
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw more petals at the top of the flower, using long curved lines for each. Fill in the sides of petals visible at the sides of the flower, using vertical curved lines.
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 8
8. Draw another outer petal. Use overlapping curved lines. Then, extend a pair of curved lines below the lowest petal and allow them to meet at a sharp point. This will become one of the sepals or small leaves at the base of the blossom.
Realistic Rose Flower Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your realistic rose flower outline by extending two pairs of lines below the flower and allowing each pair to meet at points, forming the remaining sepals.
Then, extend a pair of parallel vertical lines. This represents the beautiful flower's stem. Along the side of the stem, enclose a small curved rectangle to indicate the thorn.
Complete Realistic Rose Flower Drawing
Color your cartoon rose blossom. We've shaded ours in red, one of the most popular rose colors.
For more great Valentine's Day drawing tutorials, see the 15 Easy and Fun Valentine's Day Drawing Ideas post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).