Learn how to draw a great looking Rose Bud with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Rose Bud.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
- Juliet, Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
There are about 100 different species of plants in the rose family. They are native to temperate areas in the Northern Hemisphere, namely in Asia, Europe, and North America.
Many are cultivated by gardeners around the world for both their beauty and their sweet scent.
Roses have often been used symbolically, both in art and in literature. One famous literary reference is quoted above.
In ancient Greece, the flower was associated with the goddess Aphrodite. In Rome, it became associated with the Virgin Mary - in fact, this is where the Rosary derives its name.
References are often made to the contrast between the rose's gentle beauty and its piercing thorns.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Roses can also be a source of food. The receptacle, located at the top of the stem beneath the flower, swells into a fruit called a rose hip.
Rose hips are highly nutritious, rich in vitamins, and can be made into jellies or tea.
Would you like to draw a beautiful cartoon rosebud? This easy, step-by-step cartoon flower drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, marker, or crayon and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished flower
For more easy and fun guides, see the How to Draw a Dead Rose or Rose Pixel Art Drawing tutorials.
See also For Beginners: How to Draw a Simple Rose.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Rose Bud
How to Draw a Great Looking Rose Bud for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a sepal, one of the small green leaves at the base of the flower. Draw two curved lines in teardrop shape, pointed on one end, and disconnected on the other.
Easy Rose Bud Drawing - Step 2
2. From the base of the first length, extend another pair of curved lines. Draw a longer, narrower sepal, allowing the lines to meet at a sharp point.
Easy Rose Bud Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend a curved line from the side of the first sepal, outlining the side of the rosebud. Then, extend two curved lines - one from the first sepal, the other from the bud - and allow them to meet at a sharp point to form another sepal.
Easy Rose Bud Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a long, curved line from the side of the second sepal, forming the opposite side of the rose. From it, extend another pair of short curved lines, allowing them to meet at a point. This forms another sepal.
Easy Rose Bud Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a long, loosely "S" shaped curved line down the center of the bud. At the top of the "S," draw a series of "U" shaped lines to form a loose spiral at the tip of the rosebud.
Easy Rose Bud Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a pair of "U" shaped lines to form the remaining "lip" of the bud and to fully enclose the outline of the flower.
Easy Rose Bud Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw a pair of curved lines at the top of the bud to enclose the irregular shape of yet another petal.
Add More Details to Your Rose Bud Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a small spiral shape at the top of the first petal. Draw a "U" shaped line attached to one end.
Complete the Outline of Your Rose Bud Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the receptacle beneath the sepals by enclosing a partial oval shape. Then, extend a pair of curved lines to form the stem.
Color Your Rose Bud Drawing
Color your cartoon rosebud. Roses come in many colors, including red, pink, white, yellow, and orange. Did you know? The colors of roses have meanings when given as a gift. White stands for purity and innocence, yellow stands for friendship, and red roses for true love.
You can learn to draw a whole garden of roses! We're here to show you how.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Step-by-Step Things to draw Guides post.
For more easy rose drawing tutorials, see the collection of Drawing Roses for Beginners.
For all flower drawings, see the For Beginners: Learn How to Draw Flowers with Easy Tutorials page.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Rose Bud Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).