Learn how to draw a great looking Scythe with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Scythe.
"Reach out a sickle, because harvest is ripe." - Joel 3:13, The Bible in Living English
Scythes are used to cut down plants such as grass or wheat. You can learn how to draw a scythe.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Sometimes, scythes were used as weapons. Ancient writings depict war chariots equipped with scythe-like blades on the front or on the wheels.
This can be seen in the chariot race scene of the classic film Ben-Hur.
The idea of a grim reaper seems to have become popular during the 1300s when up to a third of the population died of the plague. The grim reaper remains a symbol of death.
Did you know? Because they are inexpensive to make and use, scythes are still used around the world today. It is employed to cut weeds, grains, wheat, and rice.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Scythe
How to Draw a Great Looking Scythe for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long curved line to outline the top of the blade. Draw an "L" shaped line on one end to form the heel of the blade.
Easy Scythe Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a long and short curved line to trace the cutting edge of the blade. Notice that the two lines meet at a point.
Easy Scythe Drawing - Step 3
3. Contour the blade with a curved line.
Easy Scythe Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the top of the handle. Use a curved line that doubles back upon itself.
Easy Scythe Drawing - Step 5
5. Extend two parallel curved lines to form the handle. Notice that there is a slight bend in the handle. Connect the lines at the top.
Easy Scythe Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a curved line to form the grip at the base of the handle; double it back upon itself.
Easy Scythe Drawing - Step 7
7. Complete the handle. Extend a curved line from the grip and double it back upon itself. Connect the ends of the line.
Add More Details to Your Scythe Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the top of the scythe. Draw a small oval on the attachment ring.
Place a curved line along one side of it to give the opening a three-dimensional appearance. Then, draw a curved line across the bottom of the attachment ring.
Complete the Outline of Your Scythe Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the grip with curved lines. This could indicate a wrapping of leather or some other material. Draw a "C" shaped line to indicate the circular bottom of the handle.
Color Your Scythe Drawing
Color your cartoon scythe. Often, the metal blade is grey and the wooden handle brown.
What are you harvesting? You can learn how to draw lots of fruits and vegetables.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Scythe Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).