Learn how to draw a great looking Sea Turtle with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Sea Turtle.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Nemo: "How old are sea turtles? Sydney plankton from next door said that sea turtles, that they live to be about a hundred years old!"
Marlin: "Well, you know what? If I ever meet a sea turtle, I'll ask him."- Disney's Finding Nemo (2003)
Sea turtles are long-lived, scaly, shelled reptiles that live in the ocean. In Disney's Finding Nemo, the turtle named Crush identified himself as being "a hundred and fifty, dude, and still young!"
The oldest sea turtle on record lived to be 250 years old, and scientists think that some turtles could live much longer.
Two types of sea turtle, the Olive ridley sea turtle and the Kemp's ridley sea turtle, display a unique behavior called the arribada. Arribada is a Spanish word meaning "arrival." During the arribada, mother turtles come to the beach to nest and lay eggs.
Later, all the baby turtles hatch at once, covering the beach. During the 1950s, as many as forty thousand turtles nested along the coast of Mexico, but by the 1980s, the turtles were almost extinct. Because of conservation efforts, especially those protecting mother turtles and their nests, the number is now over twelve thousand.
Did you know? Most people call any reptile with a shell a "turtle." However, sea turtles, who are fully aquatic, have flippers for legs, and come onto land only to lay their eggs, are the only "true" turtles.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Turtles that spend all their time on land are called tortoises. Tortoises typically have stumpy, elephant-like legs. Those that have clawed flippers and live partially on land and partially in water, such as near a river or pond, are known as terrapins.
Would you like to draw your own sea turtle? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial will show you how. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser.
You may also wish to use crayons, markers, colored pencils, or paints to shade your finished picture. Cowabunga, dude! It's time to draw.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Turtle, Dory, and Cartoon Fish.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Sea Turtle
How to Draw a Great Looking Sea Turtle for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle to form the turtle's head.
Easy Sea Turtle Drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a long, curved line from the head, outlining the top of the turtle's shell.
Easy Sea Turtle Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend another curved line from the head to the opposite end of the shell, enclosing the shell.
Easy Sea Turtle Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the front legs. For each leg, use a curved line to enclose an irregular shape.
Easy Sea Turtle Drawing - Step 5
5. Continue to contour and detail the neck and the shell. Extend a line from the head to the top of the shell, and another from the head to the leg.
Easy Sea Turtle Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the turtle's shell and legs.
Easy Sea Turtle Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the rear leg, using a curved line to enclose an irregular shape.
Add More Details to Your Sea Turtle Picture - Step 8
8. Detail the turtle's face. Use two overlapping curved lines to outline the mouth, nose, and jaw. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Complete the Outline of Your Sea Turtle Drawing - Step 9
9. Add the finishing touches to your turtle. Draw a tiny circle on the nose to indicate the nostril. For the eye, draw a circle within a circle. Shade the inner circle. Draw a short, curved line beneath the eye, and enclose a teardrop shape above the eye to indicate the eyebrow. Finally, detail the shell. Add texture and ridges by enclosing curved, irregular squares and rectangles. Use a series of curved lines to enclose half circles around the edge of the shell.
Color Your Sea Turtle Drawing
10. Color your turtle. Sea turtles are typically green to brown in color. Don't forget to check out our other easy animal drawing tutorials, including a snake, a fish, and an additional turtle.
For more great Animal drawing tutorials, see the 100 Animal Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Sea Turtle Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).