Learn how to draw a great looking Seahorse with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Seahorse.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Would you like to learn how to draw a seahorse? This easy cartoon animal drawing tutorial can show you how.
Surprisingly to some, seahorses are a type of fish. There are 36 different species. They live in warm, shallow waters of coral reefs and mangroves.
Their name comes from their horselike head. They also have a prehensile tail which they use to cling to corals or seaweeds. Seahorses are small, ranging in size from 1 to 14 inches. They have excellent camouflage, blending into the environment.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know? Seahorses are the only animal in which the male becomes pregnant and gives birth!
The female lays her eggs in a brood pouch on the male's stomach. The young spend several weeks in the pouch before they are born. In some species, the male and female remain together as a monogamous pair.
Do you know any famous seahorses? A few notable animated seahorses include the seashore herald and Stormy the giant seahorse from The Little Mermaid, as well as Sheldon from Finding Nemo.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Baby Seal, Shrimp, and Manatee.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Seahorse
How to Draw a Great Looking Seahorse for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the seahorse's head. Use a long curved line to draw the forehead and top of the mouth. Outline the rounded triangle of the eye and shade an oval within it. Contour the eye with a short curved line above it.
Easy Seahorse Drawing - Step 2
2. Complete the mouth and lower jaw with a long curved line. Draw another line along the cheek to indicate the gill. Enclose a curved trapezoid along the jaw. This is the pectoral fin that the seahorse uses to steer itself.
Easy Seahorse Drawing - Step 3
3. Outline the bony plates along the seahorse's belly. Use a series of curved lines that meet at gentle points. Note the spiral shape of the line as it nears the tip of the tail.
Easy Seahorse Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw the top of the seahorse's head and his back. Let the line come to a point at the top of the head. Then, use a series of lines that meet at gentle points to indicate the bony plates along the back.
Easy Seahorse Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the dorsal fin. Extend two curved lines from the back and connect them with a series of curved lines that meet at gentle points. Then, use a long curved line to complete the spiral-shaped tail.
Easy Seahorse Drawing - Step 6
6. Detail the fins with short curved lines. Then, draw vertical and horizontal lines across the sea horse's body. Note that some of the lines meet at perpendicular angles.
Easy Seahorse Drawing - Step 7
7. Continue detailing the bony plates of the sea horse's body. Draw short lines between each vertical section and along the tail. Then, begin drawing the seaweed that the seahorse calls home. Use long curved lines that meet at a point.
Add More Details to Your Seahorse Picture - Step 8
8. Continue drawing seaweed in the background. For each blade, use a pair of curved lines that meet at a point.
Complete the Outline of Your Seahorse Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a long, curved line passing behind the seahorse and seaweed, indicating the seabed on the horizon. Draw small ovals to indicate bubbles. Sketch more leaves of seaweed, again using pairs of curved lines that meet at points.
Color Your Seahorse Drawing
Color your seahorse. The yellow seahorse is the most well-known species. Seahorses can also be orange, pink, grey, brown, or spotted.
The related leafy and weedy sea dragons look like seahorses with leaves growing out of their bodies. These appendages provide additional camouflage.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Seahorse Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).