Learn how to draw a great looking Coral Reef with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Coral Reef.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Coral reefs are some of the most diverse ecosystems in the world." The large stone like structures are built by tiny, almost microscopic animals called coral polyps.
The polyps live and grow in colonies, filtering their food from the water or using energy from the sun.
This easy coral reef drawing tutorial teaches how to draw an underwater ecosystem.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Follow along with the detailed instructions on drawing a coral reef and other sea creatures, including how to draw a fish and jellyfish.
Don't forget to check out the video for the full drawing tutorial.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Manatee, Bass, and Underwater Scene.
Easy Coral Reef Drawing: Simple Step by Step Directions
How to Draw a Great Looking Coral Reef for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Draw several series of curved lines, one series overlapping the next. This begins to shape some of the rocks and coral that make up the reef. Detail the coral with curved lines.
Easy Coral Reef Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another series of curved lines above the others, and detail the top with a curved line. These are known as shelf corals. Then, draw a staghorn coral. Use series of curved lines that double back upon themselves to form rounded branches that resemble the limbs of a tree or a deer's antlers.
Easy Coral Reef Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw more staghorn coral. Again, use series of curved lines that double back upon themselves to form rounded branches.
Easy Coral Reef Drawing - Step 4
Easy Coral Reef Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw more layers of wavy lines, connecting the pile of sponges or corals to the seafloor.
Easy Coral Reef Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw "U" shaped lines to further detail the sponges. Then, draw more sponges on the opposite side of the page.
Easy Coral Reef Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw more series of "U" shaped lines. Then, draw some seaweed or seagrasses. Use pairs of wavy curved lines that meet at points at the top.
Add More Details to Your Coral Reef Picture - Step 8
8. Draw a large sponge. Use overlapping curved lines to form the arms or branches of the animal. Shade an oval-shaped opening at the end of each branch. In the open water above the sponge, begin drawing a jellyfish. Draw a large "U" shaped line, and connect the ends with a series of smaller "U" shaped lines. This forms the animal's body or bell.
Complete the Outline of Your Coral Reef Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw curved lines to indicate the stinging tentacles. Use curved lines to outline a tropical fish. It is shaped like a heart, with three curved lines extending between the bulges and forming a triangular tail. Detail the fish with vertical curved lines for stripes, and shade a small circle to indicate the eye.
Color Your Coral Reef Drawing
Color your cartoon coral reef. Healthy reefs are full of brightly colored creatures. Sick or dying reefs experience coral bleaching, meaning that the tiny animals that make up the corals die and the remaining structures turn white.
Would you like to expand your oceanic drawing skills? Learn how to draw an underwater scene.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Coral Reef Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).