Learn how to draw a great looking Space Shuttle with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Space Shuttle.
Space shuttles are rocket-powered vehicles that are able to be used over and over again.
NASA's first shuttle launched in 1981. Shuttles made 135 flights into space before the program ended in 2011.
The shuttles may be grounded, but you can still see them at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Alabama, U.S.A. You can even go to Space Camp for a taste of astronaut training!
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a space shuttle? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Space Shuttle
How to Draw a Great Looking Space Shuttle for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a curved line. Notice the protrusion located in the line’s sharpest curve. This protrusion is the shuttle’s cockpit or crew cabin. The curve in front of it outlines the shuttle’s nose cone, and behind it the top of the ship’s fuselage.
Easy Space Shuttle Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line beneath the first. Allow the line to meet the first in a rounded point at the tip of the nose cone. This forms the underside of the fuselage.
Easy Space Shuttle Drawing - Step 3
3. Use a long curved line to craft an irregular shape at the back of the fuselage. The line should emerge from the end of the original line. Notice that the figure is not completely enclosed. This forms the ship’s fuel tanks.
Easy Space Shuttle Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a series of curved lines to enclose the rear of the ship.
Easy Space Shuttle Drawing - Step 5
5. Use a curved line to enclose the fuel tank, distinguishing it from the rest of the fuselage. Use another curved line to enclose the rear of the ship.
Easy Space Shuttle Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the shuttle’s rear fin, called the vertical stabilizer. First, draw a curved triangle on top of the tank, erasing guide lines as necessary. Draw a curved line down the front of the fin, and enclose a curved rectangle to form the rudder. Then, enclose another curved rectangle behind the fin, on the tank.
Easy Space Shuttle Drawing - Step 7
7. Detail the shuttle’s fuselage. Enclose a large, curved rectangle on the top of the fuselage. Draw a straight line down the length of the rectangle, and band it with perpendicular curved lines. This forms the payload doors of the cargo bay.
Next, band the nose cone with a series of curved lines. Note that one curve includes a long straight line. Above the nose cone, draw a series of connected curved squares. Within each square, draw a smaller square. This forms the windows of the cockpit or crew cabin. Finally, draw a small square and circle beside the nose cone.
Add More Details to Your Space Shuttle Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the wings, erasing guide lines as necessary. Draw a curved line down the side of the fuselage. Draw a straight line from one end, and a long curved line from the other, forming a triangular shape. Draw a narrow rectangle at the back of the wing, forming the elevon.
Detail the wing with a series of straight lines. Then, draw a small rounded triangle protruding from the opposite side of the ship, forming the far wing. Detail it with straight lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Space Shuttle Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw the main propulsion engines. Extend a rectangle from the tank, erasing guide lines as necessary. Use layers of curved lines to form the main engine nozzles.
Color Your Space Shuttle Drawing
Color your shuttle. Most space shuttles are white with black accents.
Need more space? Check out our manmade objects drawing guides, where you'll find more cool tech like a jet plane, a UFO, and a robot. Then, set the scene with galaxies, the planet earth, and the moon. You can even populate your drawing with slimey aliens!
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy Things to draw Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Space Shuttle Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).