"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
- Princess Leia to a disguised Luke Skywalker, Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
Stormtroopers were introduced into the Star Wars franchise in the opening scene of its first film, depicting a raid on a rebel spacecraft. Stormtroopers are soldiers of the Galactic Empire, serving such personalities as Darth Vader and the evil emperor. They wear armor and carry blasters, or energy guns.
Did you know that the fictional stormtroopers were based, in part, on an actual piece of history? During World War I, special troops in Germany were called Sturmtruppen, often translated "storm troops" or "stormtroopers." These soldiers employed new battle tactics. They also wore curved helmets - without a faceplate - that may have inspired the costumes of Star Wars lore.
Today, stormtroopers play a role in Star Wars fan art and other activities. It is not uncommon to see a stormtrooper helmet like the one in this drawing tutorial emblazoned on a t-shirt, school supplies, or a vehicle bumper sticker. Fans also enjoy dressing up as stormtroopers for science fiction conventions and other events. This is called cosplay, combining the words "costume" and "play".
Would you like to draw a stormtrooper helmet? Now you can, with the aid of this easy, step-by-step drawing guide. Simply follow the detailed illustrations and written explanations below, paying special attention to the highlighted blue lines. You will need only a sheet of paper and a pencil, pen, or marker.
May the Force be with you!
Watch 'How to Draw a Stormtrooper Helmet' Video Tutorial
Like my drawing tutorials?
Get more on YouTube:
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Stormtrooper Helmet
1. Begin by drawing a curved line, extending straight lines downward from each side of it. This outlines the top of the stormtrooper helmet.
2. Enclose the helmet’s shape using a curved line, loosely shaped like the letter “W.”
3. Draw a narrow, horizontal rectangle across the middle of the helmet. This marks the top of the helmet’s visor.
4. Draw a curved line extending downward from each side of the helmet. This begins the outline of the helmet’s respirator portion.
5. Draw another set of curved lines beneath those drawn in the previous step, further outlining the respirator apparatus.
6. Connect the curved lines using a series of short, straight lines. The lines should meet at right angles. Enclose a shape by drawing a series of straight lines above this point, forming a zigzag line on each side. The resulting shape will look a bit like the outline of a pyramid built from Lego blocks.
7. Add detail around the shape drawn in the last step. Using a long, curved line, enclose an irregular shape consisting of three lobes. Draw a circle in each of the two lower lobes.
8. On each side of the helmet, draw two vertical rectangles, one smaller that the other. Draw a curved line across the front of the mask, Connecting the lower points of the “W” to the sides of the mask. Draw a curved line from each of the “W” points to meet the lobed shape. Detail the sides of the mask with hatching of curved lines, narrowing as it rises.
9. Draw parallel, vertical lines within the central portion of the face. For the eyes, draw two straight lines beneath the top of the visor. Then, draw a curved line beneath each straight line, enclosing the shape of the eye. Draw another curved line to contour the visor beneath each eye.
10. Color your Star Wars stormtrooper. Be creative!
Thank You for Signing Up!
Your printable PDF drawing guide is ready for downloading:
Did you like the guide? Leave a comment below.