Learn how to draw a great looking Stormtrooper Helmet with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Stormtrooper Helmet.
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"
- Princess Leia to a disguised Luke Skywalker, Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
Stormtroopers were introduced into the Star Wars franchise in the opening scene of its first film, depicting a raid on a rebel spacecraft.
Stormtroopers are soldiers of the Galactic Empire, serving such personalities as Darth Vader and the evil emperor. They wear armor and carry blasters, or energy guns.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Did you know that the fictional stormtroopers were based, in part, on an actual piece of history? During World War I, special troops in Germany were called Sturmtruppen, often translated "storm troops" or "stormtroopers."
These soldiers employed new battle tactics. They also wore curved helmets - without a faceplate - that may have inspired the costumes of Star Wars lore.
Today, stormtroopers play a role in Star Wars fan art and other activities.
It is not uncommon to see a stormtrooper helmet like the one in this drawing tutorial emblazoned on a t-shirt, school supplies, or a vehicle bumper sticker.
Fans also enjoy dressing up as stormtroopers for science fiction conventions and other events. This is called cosplay, combining the words "costume" and "play".
Would you like to draw a stormtrooper helmet? Now you can, with the aid of this easy, step-by-step drawing guide.
Simply follow the detailed illustrations and written explanations below, paying special attention to the highlighted blue lines. You will need only a sheet of paper and a pencil, pen, or marker.
May the Force be with you!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Stormtrooper Helmet
How to Draw a Great Looking Stormtrooper Helmet for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a curved line, extending straight lines downward from each side of it. This outlines the top of the stormtrooper helmet.
Easy Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing - Step 2
2. Enclose the helmet’s shape using a curved line, loosely shaped like the letter “W.”
Easy Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a narrow, horizontal rectangle across the middle of the helmet. This marks the top of the helmet’s visor.
Easy Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw a curved line extending downward from each side of the helmet. This begins the outline of the helmet’s respirator portion.
Easy Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw another set of curved lines beneath those drawn in the previous step, further outlining the respirator apparatus.
Easy Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing - Step 6
6. Connect the curved lines using a series of short, straight lines. The lines should meet at right angles. Enclose a shape by drawing a series of straight lines above this point, forming a zigzag line on each side. The resulting shape will look a bit like the outline of a pyramid built from Lego blocks.
Easy Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing - Step 7
7. Add detail around the shape drawn in the last step. Using a long, curved line, enclose an irregular shape consisting of three lobes. Draw a circle in each of the two lower lobes.
Add More Details to Your Stormtrooper Helmet Picture - Step 8
8. On each side of the helmet, draw two vertical rectangles, one smaller that the other. Draw a curved line across the front of the mask, Connecting the lower points of the “W” to the sides of the mask. Draw a curved line from each of the “W” points to meet the lobed shape. Detail the sides of the mask with hatching of curved lines, narrowing as it rises.
Complete the Outline of Your Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw parallel, vertical lines within the central portion of the face. For the eyes, draw two straight lines beneath the top of the visor. Then, draw a curved line beneath each straight line, enclosing the shape of the eye. Draw another curved line to contour the visor beneath each eye.
Color Your Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing
10. Color your Star Wars stormtrooper. Be creative!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Stormtrooper Helmet Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).