Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
The tank is a heavily armoured military combat vehicle that crawls along on tracks. The armor protects the soldiers inside. The chain-like tracks allow it to travel over difficult terrain. Tanks are often heavily armed with very large guns.
The predecessors of the tank date to ancient times, when armies employed armored vehicles such as chariots, siege towers, or battering rams. The first modern tank was built in the year 1900 using a steam traction engine. Tanks played a large role in the trench warfare of World War I, and in countless conflicts since.
Tanks have appeared in the artwork promoting many movies, video games, and books. During World War II, Superman and many other comic book heroes faced off against enemy tanks. Tanks, a two-dimensional strategy video game, is one of the oldest games on the internet.
Would you like to draw a cartoon tank? This easy, step-by-step cartoon object drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Tank
1. Use a curved line to draw an irregular shape. This outlines the turret on top of the tank.
2. Detail the turret. Use a curved line to outline a partial circle on one side and a rounded rectangle on top. Draw a vertical curved line to form the radio antenna, and shade a small circle at the top.
3. Draw the gun barrel by extending a pair of straight parallel lines. At the end, draw a round-cornered rectangle to form the gun muzzle.
4. Draw the top of the tank. Draw a curved line below the turret, hooking downward beneath the gun. Connect the turret to the top of the tank with a pair of short curved lines. Behind the turret, draw a rectangle with rounded corners. Draw straight vertical lines across it.
5. Draw the side skirt of the tank. Draw a curved line along the bottom of the tank's top. Then, use a long curved line to enclose the rounded trapezoid shape of the wheel track.
6. Draw another upside-down trapezoid overlapping the skirt. Draw another curved line parallel to the wheel track.
7. Draw the drive sprocket at the upper tip of the wheel track using two small circles. Then, draw the first of the road wheels. Use curved lines to draw a circle within a partial circle.
8. Draw two more road wheels. Each should be a circle within a larger circle, filling the gap between the top and bottom of the wheel track.
9. Draw the final roadwheel and the rear drive sprocket, using two circles for each.
Color your cartoon tank. Tanks are often camouflaged in shades of green and brown.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Complete Tank Drawing Tutorial in One Image
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).