Learn how to draw a great looking Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street.
Sesame Street's Oscar the Grouch is a favorite Muppet character, appearing on t-shirts, toys, and more. Oscar's personality was based on that of a rude waiter, and his voice was inspired by a real-life New York City taxi driver.
Oscar lives inside a trash can, and trash is his favorite thing. He has an orange pet worm named Slimey.
While Oscar was the first Grouch, he is not the only one. In fact, Oscar has a girlfriend named Grundgetta.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Because the habits and tastes of the Grouches differ from those of other characters, they are used to indirectly symbolize human diversity.
Did you know? The first Grouch puppet built was yellow in color, but this was changed because the show already featured a big yellow bird. In Sesame Street's first season, Oscar was orange instead of green!
Would you like to draw Oscar the Grouch? Now you can, with the help of this easy, step-by-step Sesame Street drawing tutorial.
All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street
How to Draw a Great Looking Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the lid to Oscar's trash can, which also serves as a sort of hat. Use curved lines to draw the incomplete oval shape that is the rim of the lid. Then, enclose a curved rectangular shape above it, forming the top of the lid. Finally, use a series of short lines to draw the lid's handle.
Easy Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 2
2. Outline Oscar's face. Use short curved lines that connect in jagged points to trace the circular shape.
Easy Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw Oscar's arm. Use a series of short curved lines to outline the "C" shape of the side and bottom of the arm. Then, use another series of short lines to form the top of the arm.
Easy Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw Oscar's other arm. Draw a pair of curved lines, each consisting of shorter curved lines. Then, outline the hand and fingers, again using a series of curved lines. Notice the pointed tips of the fingers.
Easy Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw Oscar's eyebrows, a single furry mass called a unibrow. Use curved lines to outline this shape. Notice the pointed tips.
Easy Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 6
6. Outline Oscar's eyes beneath his brow. For each eye, draw a large circle. Then, draw a smaller circle within it. Shade this smaller circle to indicate the pupil. Next, use a series of curved lines to draw the top of the mouth. Complete the mouth with a wide "U" shaped line beneath it. Finally, draw a small heart shape within the mouth to indicate the tongue.
Easy Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw Oscar's trash can. Use curved lines to indicate the rim of the trash can just below his arms. Then, use roughly parallel lines to form the sides of the trashcan. Notice that two overlapping lines are used for each side, giving the can the appearance of being somewhat crushed. Use a long curved line to enclose the bottom of the can, and shorter curved lines to indicate the bottom rim.
Add More Details to Your Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Picture - Step 8
8. Use curved rectangular shapes of various sizes to draw the trash can handles, as well as the metal pieces that connect it to the can.
Complete the Outline of Your Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw scalloped lines at the top and bottom of the can, and nearly connect them using straight lines. This gives the can pattern and texture.
Color Your Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing
Color Oscar the Grouch. He is typically green in color with brown eyebrows. His can is grey or silver.
Check out our character drawing guides, where you'll find Elmo, Cookie Monster, and more Sesame Street friends.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Oscar Grouch from Sesame Street Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).