Learn how to draw a great looking Witch Hat with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Witch Hat.
"I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too."
- The Wicked Witch of the West, The Wizard of Oz
In popular culture, the witch hat is "characterized by a conical crown and a wide brim."
This is also a symbol of the Halloween holiday and included in many decorations.
Pointed hats have been the attire of numerous cultures throughout history.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The specific origin of the witch hat is disputed by scholars, but it may have arisen from one of several prejudices, notably anti-Semitic or anti-Quaker sentiments during the Middle Ages and colonial period.
Both of these groups wore distinctive hats. People spread false rumors about them, and the hats may have become a symbol of the occult involvement of which they were accused.
A number of fictional witches and other magical characters have sported the archetypal witch hat in various media.
Would you like to draw a cartoon witch hat? This easy, step-by-step cartoon drawing guide is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Witch Hat
How to Draw a Great Looking Witch Hat for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by sketching an incomplete teardrop shape. This outlines the opening of the hat and the bottom of its brim.
Easy Witch Hat Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a curved line across the shape, roughly parallel to its upper line. This outlines the near side of the brim.
Easy Witch Hat Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw another curved line parallel to the previous line.
Easy Witch Hat Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a series of curved lines to sketch the side and crown of the hat. Note the overlap where the hat bends and the gently pointed tip.
Easy Witch Hat Drawing - Step 5
5. Use overlapping curved lines to draw the remaining side of the hat, again noting the bend in the material.
Easy Witch Hat Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw two curved lines across the hat, outlining its band.
Easy Witch Hat Drawing - Step 7
7. Sketch a small rectangle inside a rectangle in the middle of the hatband. This forms the buckle.
Add More Details to Your Witch Hat Picture - Step 8
8. Draw curved lines across the crown or top of the hat to give it an old and worn-out texture.
Complete the Outline of Your Witch Hat Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw a curved line between the brim and the bottom of the hat, outlining the underside of the brim.
Color Your Witch Hat Drawing
Color your witch hat. Typically, such hats are black with a gold buckle but could be any color you wish.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Witch Hat Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).