A beginner-friendly guide to learning how to draw a great-looking Young Anime Girl with easy, step by step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for beginner artists!
Many anime and manga stories rely heavily on cute child characters. For example, the manga Yotsuba&! is about the antics of a 5-year-old girl, and the classic anime movie My Neighbor Totoro follows the friendship of a young girl and a mythical forest creature (see How to Draw Totoro).
At other times, the children play a supporting role. You can learn how to draw a young anime girl with the help of this easy, step-by-step tutorial.
Step-by-Step Tutorial for Drawing a Young Anime Girl
This cute anime girl is certain to make you and your characters smile. The kawaii character is dancing around in a cute anime pose. Look back at the child body base to get the proportions just right.
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 1
1. Draw the small anime girl's face in 3/4 perspective. Use curved lines to sketch the head, face, and ear.
Then, draw perpendicular grid lines across the face. these will help you to place the girl's facial features in a later step.
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 2
2. Center the girl's eyes over the two halves of the horizontal grid line. Use two ovals for each eye, one within the other. Then, draw a thick, wide line around each eye. Draw a tiny line for the nose near the junction of the grid lines.
Then, draw the mouth over the lower 2/3 of the lower half of the vertical grid line. Use curved lines to outline the mouth and tongue. Notice that in the 3/4 perspective, the mouth is not perfectly centered over the line.
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the grid lines, and sketch the little girl's hair. Use curved lines to sketch the pointed locks and the rectangular anime bangs. Draw short lines for the eyebrows overlapping the bands, and a pair of lines to form the neck.
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 4
4. Extend pairs of curved lines above the hair and allow them to meet at points, forming the hairbow. Then, use a long curved line to sketch the ponytail. Note the points at the ends.
Then, enclose the rectangular collars of the girl's dress.
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 5
5. Use "C" shaped lines for the puffy sleeves, and a curved line to enclose the cuff of each. Then, use overlapping curved lines to sketch the girl's arms and hands.
Can you do a pointing finger drawing instead?
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the dress. Use long curved lines for the sides, and short, overlapping lines for the scalloped hem. Then, texture the material with additional curved lines.
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 7
7. Use a wavy line to enclose a lacy underlayer at the bottom of the dress. Then, extend curved lines to form the legs. Draw wavy socks and half-circle shoes at the bottom of the legs. Detail the knees with short lines.
Young Anime Girl drawing - Step 8
8. Color your cute anime character.
What to draw next?
You've mastered a sketch of a happy anime girl. Now, can you adjust the little boy anime outline to mimic her pose?
Looking for more inspiration? You can draw a young anime girl in more ways than one. Here's a chibi anime girl drawing tutorial you can get inspired from.
We'll show you how to draw over 100 anime things on this page. We will also give you some tips on how to get started, as well as how to improve your skills. Get started today! All tutorials are free!
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).