A beginner-friendly guide to learning how to draw a great-looking Anime Hand with easy, step by step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for beginner artists!
The next time you talk to someone, pay attention to your hands. Do they just sit still, or do you move them? That's right - hand gestures are an important part of communication.
This is true of anime and manga hands as well. In this lesson, you will learn how to draw anime hand gestures and sketch realistic hands.
First, we'll examine how to draw a simple open hand. You can use this hand sketch as a reference as we discuss common hand gestures you may want to use in your comics.
Step-by-Step Tutorial for Drawing an Anime Hand
This easy, step-by-step hand sketch is great for beginner artists. It uses simplified shapes to help you capture the anatomy and structure of the hand.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an irregular pentagon. Extend two short lines from the bottom corners. Then, draw a wide zigzag line overlapping one side. These shapes will serve as a guide as you sketch the proportions of the hand reference. The pentagon will become the palm, and the zigzag line the thumb.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 2
2. Extend a long curved line from one corner of the pentagon and double it back upon itself. This will become the pointer finger.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 3
3. Extend another curved line from the base of the first and double it back upon itself. This finger - the middle finger - should be centered over the upper point of the pentagon.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two more curved lines, doubled back upon themselves, to form the ring and pinky fingers.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 5
5. Use curved lines to contour the side of the hand, the wrist, and the thumb.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the palm of the hand. Enclose the side of the hand with a curved line, and contour the palm and the pad of the thumb with short curved lines.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 7
7. Erase the remaining guidelines from the hand. Contour the joints of the fingers with short lines.
Anime Hand drawing - Step 8
8. Color your drawing.
Drawing Hand Gestures
As your characters move, speak, and gesture, you will need to draw the hands from different angles, making different shapes. Take a look at the illustration below.
On the top row, we see a gesture common to anime and manga - the peace sign or victory sign. This gesture involves making a fist, curling the thumb, ring, and pinky fingers inward while lifting the pointer and middle fingers. The "V-for-Victory" sign is often made when the character is the subject of a photo or is trying to look cute.
Next, we see a heart hand drawing. In this gesture, the hands are seen from the side. It is often used to non-verbally communicate "I love you" from a distance or to frame an object or person that the character loves.
On the bottom row, we see a pointed finger. Depending on the context, this gesture - a closed fist with the pointer finger extended - can draw someone's attention to a point of interest or make an aggressive accusation.
The final image is a fist viewed from the palm side. This hand drawing might be used when the character is delivering a punch or when a girl is looking at her fingernails. Other negative emotions can cause the character to make a fist.
You may be wondering, are there significant differences between the anime boy hand and the anime girl hand? As when we discussed in the anime feet drawing tutorial, there may be slight differences that indicate the sex of the hand's owner.
Female hands may be narrower and smaller, male hands wider and bulkier. Female hands often have long fingernails, and these may be shaded in bright colors.
What to draw next?
Practice your skills by drawing each of the hand gestures we discussed above. Then, think of some gestures not listed here and draw them.
For example, could you adjust the fist to make a "thumbs up" sign? Could you redraw the peace sign to represent the "universal OK" symbol or a Vulcan greeting? After all, Mr. Spock starred in an anime during the 1970s.
After you've completed your hand drawings, add arms to each one. Don't stop there - put your new skills to use and complete your characters!
Related drawing guides:
- Anime feet reference drawing
- How to draw a female body
- How to draw an anime head
- How to draw arms on a body
For even more inspiration, see our collection of How to Draw Anime Step-by-Step tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).