Learn how to draw a great looking Abraham Lincoln with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial, plus FREE printable pages.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Abraham Lincoln.
“I want it said of me by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.”
- Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth president of the United States of America.
He was given many nicknames, including Honest Abe, the Great Emancipator, and the Rail-Splitter.
He is best known for working to end slavery through the Emancipation Proclamation and the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Lincoln was born into a poor family in a log cabin in Kentucky in 1809 and he later worked as a lawyer and congressman.
He was president during the American Civil War. In 1865, he was assassinated while attending a theatrical play.
Today, Lincoln's likeness can be seen all over America. His face appears on the penny, a one-cent copper coin, and on the five-dollar bill.
A huge statue of Lincoln sits on a throne in the temple-like Lincoln Memorial in Washington, D.C., one of the most-visited landmarks in the nation's capital.
He is one of several presidents immortalized in the stone carvings of Mount Rushmore.
Many postage stamps also bear his image.
Along with George Washington, he is remembered on President's Day each February.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of Abraham Lincoln? This easy, step-by-step cartoon president drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Abraham Lincoln
How to Draw a Great Looking Abraham Lincoln for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing Abe Lincoln’s signature tophat. Draw two parallel curved lines, and attach them at the top with a third curved line.
Easy Abraham Lincoln Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a “C” shaped line at the bottom of the hat to outline the brim.
Easy Abraham Lincoln Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a curved line across the base of the hat’s crown to outline the hatband.
Easy Abraham Lincoln Drawing - Step 4
4. Sketch Lincoln's hair and beard. Draw a curved line to indicate where his head meets the hat. Then, draw the hair using a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points. Notice the “C” shaped ear. The hair should jut out at the forehead, behind the ear, and in front of the ear, forming an “L” shape to create the beard.
Easy Abraham Lincoln Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the ear, erasing as necessary. Outline the ear with a “C” shaped line, and detail the inside with curved lines.
Easy Abraham Lincoln Drawing - Step 6
6. Sketch the face in profile. Use a curved line for the forehead and nose, another for the cheek. Extend another for the upper lip, and a final one for the lower lip and chin.
Easy Abraham Lincoln Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline the eye with a “V” shaped line and a curved line between it. Use a curved line to enclose the pupil. Draw the eyebrow using several curved lines, some of which meet at jagged points.
Add More Details to Your Abraham Lincoln Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the collar of Lincoln’s suit, erasing as necessary. Extend curved lines from the hair at the base of the neck, and connect them at the end to form a loosely rectangular shape. Draw the circular button at the end.
Complete the Outline of Your Abraham Lincoln Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the collar, enclosing a loosely triangular shape with straight and curved lines.
Color Your Abraham Lincoln Drawing
Color your cartoon of Lincoln. Abe Lincoln had black hair and in most of his photographs, he wore a black suit and white shirt. Of course, if you're drawing him on a penny, the drawing and the background should be copper-colored!
For more great People drawing tutorials, see the 51 Step-by-Step People Drawing Guides post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!