Learn how to draw a great looking Angler Fish with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Angler Fish.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
Anglerfish represent a unique variety of fish, so named for their ability to "fish" for prey using a fleshy lure that dangles from their head. Large fang like teeth keep captured prey from escaping.
Despite its fearsome appearance, most anglerfish are actually quite small. The largest reach about four feet in length and weighs 44 pounds, while the smallest reach only a few inches.
There are about 210 known species of anglerfish, divided into four groups: batfish, goosefish, frogfish, and deep-sea anglers.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The deep-sea varieties possess the most striking anatomy and behaviors. The lure, and often other parts of the body, are bioluminescent, producing its own light. The large mouth allows the fish to swallow prey larger than itself.
In some species, the male is much smaller than the female, and it permanently hitches a ride by biting the female's side.
Perhaps the most famous anglerfish appeared in the film Finding Nemo (2003). Much of the art containing anglerfish is very modern, as the deep-sea species were unknown to most of the world prior to the invention of the deep-sea submersible.
Would you like to draw an anglerfish? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a sheet of paper, a pencil, and an eraser. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Nemo, Dory, and Whale.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing an Angler Fish
How to Draw a Great Looking Angler Fish for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a horizontal curved line. This outlines the back of the anglerfish.
Easy Angler Fish Drawing - Step 2
2. Beneath the first line, draw two overlapping curved lines. This forms the fish’s belly and lower jaw.
Easy Angler Fish Drawing - Step 3
3. Connect the lines on one end using a short curved line. Then, use a large, loose, roughly “M” shaped line to enclose the tail fin.
Easy Angler Fish Drawing - Step 4
4. Use two curved lines to sketch the anglerfish’s wide open mouth. Allow the lower line to double back upon itself before it meets the lower jaw, adding detail to the mouth.
Easy Angler Fish Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw the anglerfish’s long, sharp teeth. For each tooth, use two curved lines that meet in a sharp point. Notice that the teeth grow longer as they reach the edge of the mouth.
Easy Angler Fish Drawing - Step 6
6. Detail the curvature of the mouth and jaw with curved lines of various sizes. Then, draw the dorsal appendage, or lure. Extend two long, parallel curved lines from just inside the fish's head, erasing guide lines as necessary. Connect the lines using a short curved line at the base, and a small oval to form the end of the lure. Detail the lure by drawing a smaller, incomplete oval within it.
Easy Angler Fish Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the pectoral fin. Begin with a vertical curved line. Then, use a longer line to enclose the shape of the fin. Detail the top of the mouth with a short curved line. Draw a circle to indicate the eye, with a smaller circle within it. Shade between the two circles, and surround the eye with two curved lines, like parentheses.
Add More Details to Your Angler Fish Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the dorsal fin. First, enclose an irregular shape, followed by a larger irregular shape. Detail the second shape with several short curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Angler Fish Drawing - Step 9
9. Use long, curved lines to form the ventral fin. Detail this fin and the tail with curved lines. Draw a curved line between the jaws to indicate the other side of the mouth.
Color Your Angler Fish Drawing
10. Color your anglerfish. Shallow water anglerfish can be quite colorful and bear camouflaging patterns. Deep-sea anglerfish are often red, orange, or brown in color.
An ocean of drawing fun awaits you when you check out our selection of animal drawing guides. You can even recreate your favorite movie scene with Nemo, Dory, and more.
For more great Sealife drawing tutorials, see the 31 Easy Sealife Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Angler Fish Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).