Learn how to draw a great looking Anime Smile with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Anime Smile.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"And in her smile, I see something more beautiful than the stars."
- Your Lie in April, Japanese manga
Anime and manga characters - a unique Japanese drawing style that has become increasingly popular in comic books and animation - are marked by large eyes and highly expressive facial features.
Especially in chibi characters, facial features such as the smiling mouth are often enhanced and enlarged.
Some anime characters are even known for their smiles. These include Rinko Yamato from My Love Story!!, Shiro from Deadman Wonderland, Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail, Sawako Kuronuma from From Me to You, Reaching You, Madoka Kaname from Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Reina Kousaka from Hibike! Euphonium, Leafa from Sword Art Online II, and Mitsukuni Haninozuka from Ouran High School Host Club.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a smiling cartoon character in anime or manga style? This easy, step-by-step manga cartoon drawing tutorial is here to show you how.
All you will need is a pen or pencil and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished character.
Learn more about How to Draw Anime Mouth Expressions and Lips and How to Draw a Little Anime Boy.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Anime Smile
How to Draw a Great Looking Anime Smile for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing the squinting eyes. Use thick curved lines to draw a shape that is pointed on one side and that splits into two points on the other. This indicates the eyelashes. Contour the eyes with one curved line above and two below.
Easy Anime Smile Drawing - Step 2
2. Use curved lines to outline the shape of the nose, the contour of the upper lip, and the open-mouth, toothy grin. Draw a series of short lines horizontally across the mouth to divide the upper and lower teeth.
Easy Anime Smile Drawing - Step 3
3. Begin outlining the face. Draw curved lines to form the hair at the sides of the face. Then, use curved lines to sketch the ears, cheeks, and gently pointed chin. Extend a pair of lines below the face to form the neck. Connect them at the bottom with two curved lines that meet at a downward point.
Easy Anime Smile Drawing - Step 4
4. Begin drawing hair across the top of the face. Use long curved lines that meet at a point to form each lock. Use thick curved lines to draw the eyebrows.
Easy Anime Smile Drawing - Step 5
5. Use overlapping curved lines to outline the top of the head. At the sides of the head, use pairs of overlapping curved lines that meet at points to draw more locks of hair.
Easy Anime Smile Drawing - Step 6
6. Continue drawing the hair. Use long curved lines and pairs of lines that meet at points.
Easy Anime Smile Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline curved triangles on each side of the neck to indicate the collar of the blouse. Below the neck, draw a small circle to form a button.
Add More Details to Your Anime Smile Picture - Step 8
8. Extend curved, loosely “L” shaped lines from each side of the collar to form the shoulders. Then, used curved lines to indicate the seams of the sleeves.
Complete the Outline of Your Anime Smile Drawing - Step 9
9. Texture the hair with long curved lines running down its length.
Color Your Anime Smile Drawing
Color your smiling anime or manga cartoon character. Blonde, brunette, or rainbow-hued, her appearance is up to you!
For more great Anime drawing tutorials, see How to Draw a Young Anime Girl or 31 Easy Anime Drawing Tutorials.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Anime Smile Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).