Learn how to draw a great looking Oak Tree with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Oak Tree drawing.
There are about 450 species of oak trees found throughout the world's temperate zones. Oak trees produce acorns, a food source for animals and, in the past, for people. Corks used as stoppers for wine bottles are produced from the bark of the Mediterranean cork oat, and Aleppo oak is used to make ink. The wood of oak trees is also used in furniture manufacture and construction.
Since ancient times, this noble plant has appeared in art and symbolism. In Greek mythology, the oak was considered sacred to Zeus, and in Norse mythology to Thor. Representing strength and endurance, oak leaves and acorns appear in coats of arms, architecture, coins, and seals. In 2004, it became the National Tree of the United States of America.
Did you know? There are many plants labeled as "oak" that aren't true oak trees. One example is the itchy weed known as "poison oak." This plant was named such because of the shape of its leaves.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Would you like to draw a cartoon oak tree? This easy, step-by-step cartoon tree drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, crayon, or marker and a sheet of paper.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing an Oak Tree
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing forked branches. Use curved lines to outline the sides of the trunk. Then, draw “V” shaped lines between and above them to indicate the sides of the branches. Connect the lines at the top.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw the base of the trunk and the roots. Extend the lines of the trunk downward. Then, draw a series of inverted “V” shaped lines to connect the sides of the trunk, allowing them to meet at points.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw additional branches around and between the first. For each branch, extend two curved lines and connect them at the top.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 4
4. Texture the trunk. Draw diagonal lines at the roots, vertical lines on the trunk, and horizontal lines across the branches.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 5
5. Begin drawing the leaves of the crown of the tree. Use a series of “U” shaped lines to begin the cloud like treetop.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 6
6. Continue drawing the leafy crown across the top of the tree using connected “U” shaped lines.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 7
7. Complete the outline of the treetop. Don’t forget to draw leaves connecting and between the branches.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 8
8. Texture the treetop. Use a series of “U” shaped lines to draw round, cloudlike shapes within the leafy crown. Draw other series of “U” shaped lines as well.
Oak Tree Drawing - Step 9
9. In addition to the shape of its leaves, the oak tree can be identified by its fruit - a nut known as an acorn. Draw acorns hanging singly or in clusters all over the crown of the tree. For each acorn, first draw a curved shape by doubling a curved line back upon itself. This is the acorn’s cupule, or cap. Then, draw a “U” shaped line to form the nut.
Complete Oak Tree Drawing
Color your oak tree. In summer, its leaves are a rich green. In fall, they turn vibrant hues of orange and yellow.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy to Draw Things to draw Tutorials post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).