Learn how to draw a great looking Candy Cane with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Candy Cane.
Candy canes - peppermint flavored red and white candy sticks - are common sights during the holiday season. How did this candy come to be associated with Christmas?
According to legend, in 1670, a choir master in Germany asked a local candy maker for sugar sticks to give to children during Christmas Eve services - with the intention of keeping the children quietly entertained.
To justify giving candy to children during the church services, he asked the candy maker to add a crook, or curve, to the end of each stick.
This shape, like a shepherd's staff, was said to remind the children of the shepherds who visited baby Jesus. The candy could then be regarded as a teaching tool, rather than just a pacifier.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
While this origin is unconfirmed, recipes for similar candies - lacking the crook and stripes - were recorded in the early 1800s. By 1882, the tradition of hanging candy canes on the Christmas tree began to spread. Today, candy canes can be purchased from confectioners year round.
Would you like to draw a candy cane? Doing so is easy with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial. You will need only a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser.
You may also wish to use markers, crayons, or colored pencils to shade your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Candy Cane
How to Draw a Great Looking Candy Cane for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a pair of straight, parallel lines, slanted diagonally. These lines form the straight portion of the candy cane.
Easy Candy Cane Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a long, curved line, connecting the tops of the parallel lines. Note how the line curves in a "U" shape, doubling back on itself to form the crook of the candy cane. Connect the parallel lines at the bottom using a short, curved line.
Easy Candy Cane Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw an irregular circle in the middle of the candy cane. This will form the knot of the bow.
Easy Candy Cane Drawing - Step 4
4. Use a long, curved line to draw one side of the bow. Extend the line outwards from the knot, and curve it so that it has two lobes before connecting to the knot once again.
Easy Candy Cane Drawing - Step 5
5. Repeat the process described in the last step to form a mirror image. Again, use a long, curved line to enclose one side of the bow.
Easy Candy Cane Drawing - Step 6
6. Erase guide lines from the bow.
Easy Candy Cane Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend two sets of lines from the knot of the bow, each set curving outward. Connect each set of lines at the bottom by drawing an upside down "V." These lines form the ribbons emanating from the bow.
Add More Details to Your Candy Cane Picture - Step 8
8. Erase guide lines from the ribbons.
Complete the Outline of Your Candy Cane Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the bow by drawing curved lines outward from the knot, in each of the ribbons and on each side of the bow. Then, draw curved lines across the candy cane to indicate the stripes.
Color Your Candy Cane Drawing
10. Color your candy cane. Traditionally, candy canes are striped in white and red. Today, however, you can find fruit flavored candy canes striped in other shades or even rainbow colors, as well as candy canes sporting the colors of sports teams or organizations - for example, pink candy canes for breast cancer awareness.
For more great Drawing Ideas tutorials, see the 100 Drawing Ideas Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Candy Cane Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).