Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
“The horse, with beauty unsurpassed, strength immeasurable, and grace unlike any other, still remains humble enough to carry a man upon his back.”
– Amber Senti, Iron Horse Equestrian Center
It's been said that every child goes through a "horse phase." Is that true of you? Do you doodle images of this graceful animal on your notebooks or scrap paper? Would you like to?
The horse has been a part of human life for thousands of years. Before motorized tools and vehicles were invented, horses provided transportation, pulled wagons, and powered farm equipment. They were used in the military and for sport. Today, some horses are still working animals with important jobs. Others are kept for the pleasure of riding and simply spending time with such a large, gentle, and majestic animal.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Saddle up, because it's time to perfect your horsemanship with pen and ink. This cartoon horse is easy to draw, because it is created using geometric shapes and lines. Simply follow the step-by-step instructions in this cartoon drawing tutorial.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a Simple Horse
1. Begin by drawing a small oval. This will help you to outline the simple horse’s head.
2. Draw a larger circle, beside but not touching the first. This will help you to outline the horse’s shoulders.
3. Draw another oval in line with the other shapes. This will help you to sketch the horse’s hips.
4. Draw a pair of curved lines between the circle of the head and the circle of the shoulders, outlining the arching neck.
5. Connect the shoulders and the hips using a pair of curved lines, outlining the back and belly. Use a curved line to contour the hips on the back side of the oval.
6. Begin to detail the horse’s face. Draw a long, nearly straight line through the oval, extending out of it. At the bottom, draw a series of curved lines to form the nostril and upper lip.
7. Connect the lip to the circle using a curved line. Allow the line to pass into the oval and outline the curve of the jaw.
8. Begin sketching the horse’s legs. Use a curved line or a series of curved lines for the front of each. Note the bend of the knees and ankles.
9. Draw the backs of the legs parallel to the fronts. Use a series of curved lines for each, noting the bends of the knees and ankles.
10. Draw a hoof at the bottom of each leg. Use curved lines to outline the triangular shapes with rounded corners.
11. Draw the ears. Use curved lines to sketch the triangular and semi-circular shapes.
12. Draw the horse’s mane, using short lines that meet at jagged points.
13. Draw the mane. From the head to the shoulder, draw a series of curved lines that meet at jagged points.
14. Erase the guide lines from your horse, leaving a clean outline of the animal.
15. Use curved lines to outline the triangular shape of the eye, and a small oval for the nostril.
16. Draw a short curved line to separate the upper and lower lips. Draw a curved line across the eye to indicate the pupil.
17. Begin drawing the tail. Extend a long curved line from the hips.
18. Complete the tail. Draw another long curved line, and connect the two with a series of short curved lines that meet at jagged points.
19. Texture the tail with a long curved line.
20. Color your cartoon horse. Horses come in many colors and patterns. They may be white, black, grey, brown, tan, or reddish. Some have spots, and others have markings called socks or stockings on their feet, or blazes or stars on the face.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!