Learn how to draw a great looking Gas Mask with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial. You can now easily create a beautiful Gas Mask drawing.
A gas mask is a protective breathing device. It is designed to protect its wearer against harmful substances, such as chemicals or bacteria, that may be present in the air.
Why does the gas mask look so strange, even frightening? And how does it work? Its tight-fitting hood keeps out contaminants; its eyepieces allow the wearer to see; and the filters protruding from it contain screens that strain out particles as well as activated charcoal, which can capture and hold poisons so that they do not reach the lungs of the wearer. This type of mask has been around for over 100 years, but beak-shaped masks were used by doctors as far back as the fourteenth century.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
There have been times and places where gas masks were part of everyday life. Since World War I, they have been standard equipment for soldiers. During World War II, schools in England were stocked with gas masks and children were drilled in their use. These were nicknamed "Mickey Mouse masks" in an attempt to make them less scary for children. Each citizen had his or her own mask. Special gas masks were even designed to keep babies safe.
Some jobs, such as scientific research and hazardous waste cleanup, require similar masks or even complete protective suits. Today, the gas mask is often seen as a symbol of warfare or of "doomsday preppers," people who stockpile supplies in case of major disasters.
Would you like to draw a gas mask? This easy, helpful, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to use colored pencils, crayons, markers, or other tools to shade your finished drawing.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing a Gas Mask
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will help you to outline the basic shape of the gas mask.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 2
2. Beneath the oval, extend a long, curved line, enclosing a shape that extends from one end of the oval to the other. this forms the bottom portion of the gas mask, that which covers the mouth and chin.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 3
3. Sketch two curved lines across the top of the oval. The lines should extend just beyond the oval, meeting to enclose a curved shape. Draw another curved line just above the oval, and allow it to intersect this shape as it extends beyond the oval. This details the top of the gas mask.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw two large circles within the oval to form the eyes of the gas mask. Within each circle, draw two additional, smaller circles. Then, surround each eyepiece with curved lines of various lengths. This gives the texture of fabric around the eyepieces.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the guide lines left by the original oval.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a large circle beneath the eyes. Within this circle, draw three more progressively smaller circles. Between the two smallest circles, draw three straight lines spaced at equal intervals. This forms part of the respirator, or mouthpiece, of the gas mask.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 7
7. You will now draw additional portions of the respirator. On each side of the gas mask, draw an oval. Then, extend two straight lines from the oval to the interior of the mask. Connect these using a curved line, forming a cylinder shape. Draw another curved line across the cylinder, near the oval.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 8
8. Erase any remaining guide lines from the drawing.
Gas Mask Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail the respirators by shading with parallel straight lines.
Complete Gas Mask Drawing
10. Color your gas mask. Since most gas masks are military issue, they are usually designed to match camouflage uniforms, in shades of green or brown
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy Things to draw Art Projects for Kids post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).