Learn how to draw a great looking Love Birds with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Love Birds.
"Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees and the moon up above, and a thing called love."
- "The Birds and the Bees" by Jewel Akins, 1965
When people speak of love, they often use the euphemism "the birds and the bees," and affectionate human pairs are often referred to as "love birds." But did you know that love birds are an actual avian species?
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
There are nine species of love birds, in fact. These small parrots are native to Africa and the island of Madagascar.
Why are they called love birds? It is because they mate for life, and bonded pairs will often spend long hours side by side, snuggled close to one another. It has also been noted that the birds will grieve if separated from their partner.
Captive birds may form an affectionate bond with their keepers, grooming them as if they were fellow birds.
Interestingly, the idea of love birds, lovers, and Valentine's Day first came together during the 1300s. In a poem entitled "Parliament of Birds", Geoffrey Chaucer describes a meeting of birds at which the birds will choose, and compete for, their mates.
This poem is also "the first reference to the idea that St. Valentine's Day is a special day for lovers."
Would you like to draw a pair of love birds? This easy, step-by-step drawing tutorial is here to help. This guide will show you how to draw using simple lines and shapes.
All you will need is a piece of paper, a pencil, and an eraser. You may also wish to use colored pencils or something else to shade your finished drawing.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing Love Birds
How to Draw a Great Looking Love Birds for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will outline the head of one of the birds.
Easy Love Birds Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a second circle, with a small portion eclipsed by the first. This will form the head of the second bird.
Easy Love Birds Drawing - Step 3
3. Use long, curved lines to outline the first bird's body. Notice how the lines nearly meet. Then, draw a curved "M" shaped line to enclose the heart shaped tail at the end of the body.
Easy Love Birds Drawing - Step 4
4. Repeat this process to draw the body of the second bird. First, draw two curved lines that nearly meet. Then, enclose the heart shaped tail.
Easy Love Birds Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase the guide lines left by the original circles.
Easy Love Birds Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the wings in the middle of the bodies, using two connected "U" shaped lines for each. Then, draw a crest of feathers upon the heads. For each crest, draw several connected, curved lines that double back sharply upon themselves. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Easy Love Birds Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw feet beneath each bird. For each leg, extend a short, straight line downward from the body. Then, enclose a triangle to form the foot. Shade the triangle.
Add More Details to Your Love Birds Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the faces of the love birds. To draw the beaks, sketch two curved triangle shapes. Notice that the triangles touch at the tip. Shade a small circle to represent each eye. Indicate eyebrows by placing a short, curved line above each eye.
Complete the Outline of Your Love Birds Drawing - Step 9
9. Give your birds something to stand on. Draw a tree branch by extending two long, parallel curved lines horizontally beneath the birds. Texture the branch's bark with swirls and curved lines.
Color Your Love Birds Drawing
10. Color your love birds. In our example, we've shaded the birds pink and blue. In the wild, however, love birds may be green, blue, or grey, with patches of red, pink, black, white, or yellow.
Would you like to draw more fine feathered friends? Check out our wide selection of bird drawing guides.
For more great Bird drawing tutorials, see the 41 Best Bird Drawing Tutorials post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Love Birds Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).