Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
Mickey Mouse may be the most famous cartoon character in history. His story began in 1928 in a short animated film called Steamboat Willie. Today, he is the mascot of Walt Disney Animation Studios, Disney World, and DisneyLand.
Who is Mickey Mouse? He's been a wizard, a restaurant owner, a tailor, a band leader, and many other things. He has a girlfriend named Minnie Mouse. His best friends include Donald and Daisy Duck, Goofy, and Pluto.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
You, too, can learn to draw this iconic cartoon character. Do you see the simple circles that unite to form Mickey's head and ears? You'll use similar shapes to create your character using this drawing tutorial.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Mickey Mouse
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will become Mickey’s head.
2. Draw two smaller circles connected to the first. You now have the classic outline of Mickey Mouse ears.
3. Draw guide lines across the face - two curved lines that meet at a perpendicular angle. These will help you to place the features of the face.
4. Draw another circle below the head. This will become Mickey’s body. Draw guide lines across this circle as well - curved lines that cross at a perpendicular angle. Notice that the crossbar is not at the center of the circle, but above it.
5. Draw two lines below the circle to create the legs. Then, enclose an irregular shape at the bottom of each leg to form the feet.
6. Draw two curved lines extending from the torso. These are Mickey’s arms. Draw an oval at the end of each arm to form his hands.
7. Flesh out the arms and legs. Draw curved lines from the body to the hands and feet.
8. Draw two buttons on the torso, one in each of the lower quadrants created by the guide lines. These are Mickey’s iconic buttons.
9. Erase the vertical guide line from the torso, leaving the outline of Mickey’s red pants.
10. Draw the legs of the pants. Draw three curved lines descending from the torso; draw a short line at the top of the middle line. Then, connect the lines with curved lines to enclose the pant legs.
11. Erase the guide lines from the pants to leave a clean outline.
12. Erase the guide lines from the legs. Then, erase the bottom of the leg and a portion of the shoe. In its place, draw a donut shape using two curved lines. Repeat on the remaining leg. These are Mickey’s socks or the top of his shoe.
13. Contour the lower half of Mickey’s face using overlapping curved lines. Note the bulge of each cheek and the chin.
14. Erase some of the guide lines from the face. Use the remaining guide lines to place the area surrounding the eyes. Enclose each eye with a long curved line. Then, use curved lines to craft the smile, the open mouth, the tongue, and the contours at the corner of the mouth.
15. Erase the remaining guide lines from the face. Then, draw a curved line to contour the snout. Below it, draw an oval within an oval and shade between them. This is Mickey’s nose. Enclose two partial circles above the snout, outlining the eyes. Within each eye, draw a circle within a circle and shade between them to indicate the pupil.
16. Use curved lines to contour the shapes of Mickey’s gloved hands.
17. Erase the guide lines from the hands.
18. Erase the guide lines from the arms as well as a portion of the arms at the wrists. In its place, draw a rounded shape using curved lines. This represents the cuff of the glove.
19. Draw a long, wavy, “S” shaped line extending from the torso. This forms Mickey’s tail.
20. Color your cartoon of Mickey Mouse. He typically wears red shorts and yellow shoes.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!