Learn how to draw a great looking Pennywise with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Pennywise.
Pennywise the Dancing Clown, also known as It, was the title character of the Stephen King novel, a television series, miniseries, and films.
Who is Pennywise? "The character is an ancient cosmic evil which preys upon the children of Derry, Maine, roughly every 27 years, using a variety of powers that include the ability to shapeshift, manipulate, and go unnoticed by adults."
The idea of a scary clown is based on the uncanny valley, a hypothesis which "suggests that humanoid objects which imperfectly resemble actual human beings provoke uncanny or strangely familiar feelings of eeriness and revulsion in observers."
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
While clown-like actors have been a part of entertainment since ancient times, the development of modern circus clown makeup - complete with a white face, red triangles, and an exaggerated grin - has been making some viewers uncomfortable since 1801.
Numerous spin-offs and spoofs of the scary clown motif have been made, such as the "Gutter Clowns" of the Disney animated series Pepper Ann.
Would you like to draw a cartoon of the villainous Pennywise the clown? This easy, step-by-step character drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a pencil, an eraser, and a sheet of paper.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Pennywise
How to Draw a Great Looking Pennywise for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will help you to form the clown's face.
Easy Pennywise Drawing - Step 2
2. Erase two portions at the top of the oval and replace them with irregular curved lines. This forms the clown's high forehead and hairline.
Easy Pennywise Drawing - Step 3
3. Erase the bottom of the oval. Use curved lines to contour the cheeks and chin. Use additional curved lines to enclose the ears, and detail them on the inside with curved lines.
Easy Pennywise Drawing - Step 4
4. Draw Pennywise's eyes. Use curved lines to enclose the teardrop-shaped clown makeup above his eyes. Then, use curved lines to enclose the shapes of the eyes. Shade a small circle in each to indicate the pupil. Finally, extend two curved lines upwards from each eye, and allow them to meet at a point. Draw curved lines between them to indicate the furrowed brow.
Easy Pennywise Drawing - Step 5
5. Continue sketching the face. Use pairs of curved lines to continue the clown makeup below the eyes and across the cheeks. Enclose inverted triangular shapes with rounded points to form the sneering mouth and the paint around the mouth. Use vertical lines to indicate the teeth. Finally, use curved lines to enclose the three-lobed shape of the nose.
The outline drawing of Pennywise's head and face is now ready.
Easy Pennywise Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw the neck ruffle. Begin by extending curved lines from the bottom of the head. Connect the first and the last using a long, curved line. Then, use overlapping curved lines to form the ruffled edge.
Easy Pennywise Drawing - Step 7
7. Extend curved lines below the opposite side of the face. Connect some with curved lines, forming overlapping layers of the ruffle.
Add More Details to Your Pennywise Picture - Step 8
8. Use a series of overlapping curved lines to form the clown hair. Texture the hair with curved lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Pennywise Drawing - Step 9
9. Use curved lines to form the shoulders.
Color Your Pennywise Drawing
Color your cartoon of Pennywise the clown. He typically wears white and red makeup. Then, head over to our cartoon characters drawing section for more of your favorite heroes and villains.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Pennywise Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).