Learn how to draw a great looking Pocahontas with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Pocahontas.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"I look once more just around the river bend, beyond the shore where the gulls fly free. Don't know what for, what I dream the day might send just around the river bend - for me, coming for me."
- "Just Around the Riverbend," Disney's Pocahontas (1995)
Pocahontas was the first Disney film based on a real-life story. Pocahontas was born around 1595, the daughter of the Chief Powhatan. But for the children's film, that's where history ends and fiction begins.
The real Pocahontas was a child of about 12 when settlers founded the Jamestown colony in 1607.
John Smith was once kidnapped, but whether the child Pocahontas acted to save his life is a matter of historical debate. An injury sent Smith back to England, and Pocahontas and her father were falsely told he had died.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Around the year 1610, Pocahontas actually married Kocoum. In 1613, she was herself kidnapped by the English and held for ransom.
There, she learned English and converted to Christianity. She married John Rolfe in 1614, and with their infant son Thomas sailed to England in 1616. She died one year later, likely of smallpox or another disease.
While in England, Pocahontas was regarded as a real-life princess and as a hero for helping negotiate peace between the Powhatan and the colonists. She also met John Smith and referred to him affectionately as "father."
Would you like to draw this brave Disney princess? This easy, step-by-step cartoon character drawing guide can show you how. All you will need is a pen, pencil, or marker and a sheet of paper.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Snow White, Mulan, and Rapunzel from Tangled.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Pocahontas
How to Draw a Great Looking Pocahontas for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by using curved lines to sketch the irregular shape of Pocahontas's face, as well as her ear and neck.
Easy Pocahontas Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw Pocohantas's necklace, the one that had been her mother's. Use curved lines to enclose the teardrop shapes. Then, draw the round pendant in the center.
Easy Pocahontas Drawing - Step 3
3. Extend curved lines from each side of the neck, forming the shoulders. Then, connect the shoulders using a pair of scalloped, parallel lines set at a diagonal angle. Use a series of curved lines to enclose the fringe of the garment beneath this. Detail the fringe with straight, vertical lines.
Easy Pocahontas Drawing - Step 4
4. Use long, curved lines to outline the arm, and shorter curved lines to enclose the hand and fingers.
Easy Pocahontas Drawing - Step 5
5. Use long, curved lines to outline the hourglass shape of Pocahontas's dress. Draw a pair of curved lines around the middle to form the belt, and another curved line parallel to the bottom of the dress to indicate the fringe. Texture the fringe using vertical lines. Draw a line up the side of the skirt to indicate a seam.
Easy Pocahontas Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw Pocahontas's remaining arm using curved lines. Enclose the fingers and hand with a series of shorter curved lines.
Easy Pocahontas Drawing - Step 7
7. Outline the leg and foot using a long, curved line. Differentiate the toes with several short lines.
Add More Details to Your Pocahontas Picture - Step 8
8. Draw the remaining leg using a long, curved line doubled back upon itself. Detail the toes with short lines.
Complete the Outline of Your Pocahontas Drawing - Step 9
9.Draw a curved line to enclose a rounded shape at the back of Pocahontas's head, forming her hair. Draw her long hair blowing in the wind using long, curved lines and "C" shaped lines. Use curved lines of various lengths to texture the hair.
Color Your Pocahontas Drawing
Color Pocahontas. She has black hair, copper skin, a blue necklace, and a tan dress.
Then, find more of your favorite Disney princesses - including Cinderella, Mulan, Rapunzel, Moana, Belle, Anna, and Elsa - among our cartoon character drawing guides!
For more great People drawing tutorials, see the 51 People Drawing Ideas for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Pocahontas Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).