Learn how to draw a great looking R2-D2 from Star Wars with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful R2-D2 from Star Wars.
"R2 says the chances of survival are 725..to one!"
- C-3PO, Star Wars - Episode 4: A New Hope
R2-D2, sometimes spelled Artoo-Detoo or R2 for short, is a Second Generation Robotic Droid Series-2. He is classed as an astromech droid, a "versatile utility robot...generally used for the maintenance and repair of starships."
R2's many tools and abilities are often used as a plot device to move the story forward. He repaired Padme Amidala's royal starship; assisted young Anakin Skywalker in piloting a Naboo starfighter; rescued Padme from the Geonosian droid assembly line; delivered an important message and plans for the Death Star from Princess Leia to Luke Skywalker; and helped Luke and Han Solo escape from the clutches of the Empire by hacking their computers on more than one occasion.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
R2-D2 has become a staple of popular culture. He can be seen in such unrelated films as Star Trek Into Darkness, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Ready Player One, and Wreck-It Ralph. Plenty of merchandise, including t-shirts and action figures, bear his likeness.
Would you like to draw R2-D2? This easy, step-by-step Star Wars drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a sheet of paper and pencil, pen, marker, or crayon.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing R2-D2 from Star Wars
How to Draw a Great Looking R2-D2 from Star Wars for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a long, curved line that doubles back upon itself. This traces the cylindrical shape of R2-D2's body.
Easy R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing - Step 2
2. Outline R2's leg. Use a curved line to enclose an irregular rounded shape. The shape should resemble a key or a popsicle on a stick. Trace another line parallel to one side of this shape, connected at the top and bottom. This gives the shape a three-dimensional appearance. Then, draw horizontal lines from the shape to this new line at the points where the shape bends.
Easy R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing - Step 3
3. Detail the leg. Draw a circle at the top, and a horizontal line across the bottom. Connect the circle and line using a series of straight lines. Draw horizontal lines between them in accordance with the horizontal lines on the side of the leg.
Easy R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing - Step 4
4. Sketch the top of the foot by extending curved lines from the bottom of the leg. Draw another curved line descending from the side, giving the foot a three-dimensional appearance. Enclose the bottom of R2's body using a series of straight lines.
Easy R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing - Step 5
5. Using an oval and a straight line, enclose a cylindrical shape beneath R2's body. This is the top of his other foot.
Easy R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a trapezoid at the bottom of R2's leg, forming his other foot. Then, draw another trapezoid sharing one side of the first. On the side of the foot, draw a horizontal line, an upside-down "U" shaped line, and another horizontal line. On the front, draw a small rectangle near its top.
Easy R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing - Step 7
7. Use straight lines to enclose two trapezoids beneath the remaining leg. Detail the front with a small rectangle.
Add More Details to Your R2-D2 from Star Wars Picture - Step 8
8. Use straight lines to enclose a series of squares and rectangles across the sides and front of R2's body.
Complete the Outline of Your R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing - Step 9
9. Detail R2-D2's head. Enclose a series of rectangular shapes across the bottom. Draw a circle within one of them. Above this, enclose a partial rectangle. Draw one large and two small circles within it. Finally, enclose an irregular shape protruding from the face.
Color Your R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
R2-D2 from Star Wars Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).