Learn how to draw a great looking Shrek with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect Shrek.
"For your information, there's a lot more to ogres than people think... Ogres are like onions... Onions have layers. Ogres have layers."
Shrek is an ogre "whose fearsome appearance belies a kind heart." He lives in a swamp in the fairytale land of Duloc, frightening away all who bother him.
His peaceful existence is interrupted, however, when the ruler Lord Farquaad places a ban on "fairytale creatures."
After teaming up with a talking donkey, Shrek ventures to rescue a princess from a dragon-guarded castle. Why? He intends to deliver the princess to Farquaad in exchange for his beloved swarm. There's one problem with this plan.
The princess has a secret - she's actually an ogress, and her true form manifests itself at night.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Shrek first came to the big screen in 2001. In the years since he has also starred in a number of sequels, a Broadway musical, plenty of merchandise, and a yearly festival.
What is an ogre, anyway? Ogres are often the "hideous giants" that populate folklore and fairy tales. They are often said to feed on human flesh.
The word "ogre" first came into popular use in the late 1600s when Charles Perrault published Tales of Mother Goose. The ogre is likely based on the mythical Cyclops and other creates that devoured humans.
The term can also be applied to those who, like Lord Farquaad, dominate others.
Would you like to draw Shrek? This easy, step-by-step character drawing tutorial is here to show you how. All you will need is a sheet of paper, a pencil, and an eraser.
You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Shrek
How to Draw a Great Looking Shrek for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing a circle. This will form the basis for drawing Shrek's face.
Easy Shrek Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw a set of curved, parallel lines extending from one side of the circle. Enclose them on the end by drawing a partial oval. Then, draw a smaller oval inside it. This forms Shrek's ear.
Easy Shrek Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a long, curved line from the base of the ear to the opposite side of the circle, outlining the remainder of Shrek's head. Then, draw curved lines extending from this line and the circle, and connect them using an open oval. Draw a smaller oval inside, forming the remaining ear.
Easy Shrek Drawing - Step 4
4. Erase the guide lines left by the original circle.
Easy Shrek Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw thick, curved lines near the top of the face to indicate Shrek's eyebrows. Then, use a curved line to outline his wide nose. Shade the rounded nostrils.
Easy Shrek Drawing - Step 6
6. Use two curved lines to outline the shape of each of Shrek's eyes, gently pointed on each end. Draw three successively smaller circles within each eye, shading between the two smallest to indicate the pupil. Draw curved lines above and below each eye to indicate the eyelids.
Then, use curved lines to draw the gently smiling mouth, the lower lip, the sides of the upper lip, and chin.
Your drawing of Shrek's head and face is now ready.
Easy Shrek Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw the collar of Shrek's garment. Use a series of small, connected, curved lines.
Add More Details to Your Shrek Picture - Step 8
8. Outline Shrek's vest. Extend curved lines from the neck to form the shoulders. Then, draw curved lines downward from each side of the shoulder.
Complete the Outline of Your Shrek Drawing - Step 9
9. Draw curved lines extending outward from the shoulders, forming Shrek's arms. Draw three rounded shapes, erasing guide lines as necessary, across the front of the vest, forming the clasp.
Color Your Shrek Drawing
Color Shrek. He is a green ogre who wears a cream-colored shirt and a brown vest.
You can find more of your favorite characters from Dreamworks, Disney, comic books, and more among our characters drawing guides.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Shrek Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).