Draw a great looking Steven Universe with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions and video tutorial. Great for kids and beginner artists!
Steven Quartz Universe is a young boy in his early teens. But he's not your average human boy. He's actually a hybrid of an alien known as a "Gem" and a normal human. The Gems are aliens who project a body made of light around a magical gemstone. They protect the Earth from monsters and from their Gem counterparts from the Homeworld.
His mother's gem resides in Steven's belly button. As such, Steven manifests some of the powers of the Gems. He can summon a shield, create a force field, heal others with his saliva, create and control plants, float, shapeshift, revive the dead with his tears, use telepathy, project himself, and combine with other creatures to form powerful "fusions."
Steven is the title character of Cartoon Network's Steven Universe. He has been called a "toxic masculinity antidote" because he is a male character who exhibits gentle qualities including kindness and empathy.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Characters from Steven Universe have appeared in other Cartoon Network series, including Uncle Grandpa and OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes. Books and other merchandise are also available.
Would you like to draw Steven Universe? This easy, step-by-step cartoon character drawing tutorial is here to help. All you will need is a pencil, pen, or marker and a sheet of paper. You may also wish to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Darwin Watterson from the Amazing World of Gumball, Captain Underpants, and Rick from Rick and Morty.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Steven Universe
1. Begin by sketching the shape of Steven's face and head. Use curved, "C" shaped lines to outline the ear, sideburn, forehead, and jaw.
2. Extend a pair of parallel straight lines outward from the base of the neck and below it, outlining the arm. Use narrow "U" shaped lines to form the fingers and enclose the hand. Use short lines to completely enclose the head, demarcate the end of the sleeve on the arm, and detail the palm of the hand.
3. Extend parallel lines from the opposite side of the head and below it, forming the remaining arm. Enclose the fingers and hand using narrow "U" shaped lines. Detail the end of the sleeve and the palm of the hand using curved lines.
4. Draw curved, vertical lines below the arms, overlapping with them and outlining the abdomen. Draw a horizontal curved line between them to distinguish the bottom of the shirt from the top of the pants.
5. Use a series of curved lines to outline the leg, bent at the knee, and enclose the foot. Draw a pair of curved lines just above the foot, forming the cuff of the pants. Use several curved lines to outline the straps and sole of the sandal, and to differentiate the toes.
6. Draw the remaining leg, again outlining it with curved lines and detailing the cuff, sandal, and toes. Draw a pair of vertical curved lines at the top of the pants to indicate the zipper.
7. Decorate the t-shirt by drawing a five-pointed star on the chest.
8. Use a series of connected curved lines to enclose the hair, beginning on one side of the head and culminating at the opposite arm.
9. Detail the face. Enclose a large curved shape to indicate the mouth. Use curved lines to enclose the teeth and tongue within it. Draw large ovals to form the eyes, with smaller shaded ovals inside to indicate the pupils. Use curved lines to enclose the eyebrows and to indicate the nose.
Color your character. His shirt and sandals are pink with a yellow star, his jeans blue.
Then, check out our characters drawing guides for more cartoon fun.
For more great Things to draw tutorials, see the 100 Easy and Fun Things to draw Ideas post.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).