Learn how to draw a great looking Grinch with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a beautiful Grinch.
Jump to the step-by-step instructions.
"Every Who down in Who-ville liked Christmas a lot...
But the Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, did NOT!"
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.
Author Theodor Seuss Geisel, known by his pen name Dr. Seuss, published his first children's book, And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, in 1937.
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! was released 20 years later. Its title character, the Grinch, had first appeared in a poem in 1955.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
The Grinch is a hermit, living alone. He is also full of anger and hate, his heart "two sizes too small" - at least at the beginning of the story.
When his bully-like actions do not produce the desired result, he has a change of heart and turns to doing good.
The Grinch may be a recreation of the character Ebeneezer Scrooge from Charles Dickinson's 1843 short novel, A Christmas Carol. In this story, the unhappy Scrooge undergoes a similar transformation.
In 1966, the Grinch made his film debut, and appeared again in 1982's The Grinch Grinches the Cat in the Hat. He was seen in the 1996 television series, The Wubbulous World of Dr. Seuss, and the 2000 live-action comedy, The Grinch.
His image also appears in books, on clothing items, and on Christmas decorations.
Would you like to draw the Grinch? Doing so is easy with the help of this simple, step-by-step drawing tutorial. All you will need is a pencil, a sheet of paper, and an eraser. You may also wish to use crayons, colored pencils, or markers to color your finished drawing.
If you liked this tutorial, see also the following drawing guides: Christmas Tree, Santa Claus, and Cartoon Reindeer.
Step by Step Instructions for Drawing the Grinch
How to Draw a Great Looking Grinch for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin by drawing an oval. This will help you to outline the Grinch's face.
Easy Grinch Drawing - Step 2
2. Use a series of curved lines to outline the Grinch's face - notice the bulges of his cheeks and chin. Allow short lines to meet in jagged points, forming the Grinch's green fur.
Easy Grinch Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw two curved lines downward from the face, forming the neck and upper body.
Easy Grinch Drawing - Step 4
4. Use connected short, curved lines to enclose a narrow, fluffy, cloud-like shape across the top of the Grinch's head. This will form the bottom of his hat. Draw a similar shape beneath the head, forming the collar of the garment.
Easy Grinch Drawing - Step 5
5. Erase guide lines as necessary.
Easy Grinch Drawing - Step 6
6. Using curved lines, draw the hat. The hat is shaped like a curved triangle, with its tip bent over. At the tip of the hat, enclose an irregular shape using several short, curved lines.
Easy Grinch Drawing - Step 7
7. Draw two parallel, "L" shaped lines to form the Grinch's arm. Detail the elbow with short lines, and erase guide lines as necessary. For the other arm, draw a long, curved line parallel to the body.
Add More Details to Your Grinch Picture - Step 8
8. Draw two curved lines to indicate eyebrows, and another curve beneath one to form the cheek. Draw a circle beneath each brow, forming the eye. For the nose, enclose a small, irregular shape.
Complete the Outline of Your Grinch Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete the details of the face. Draw the mouth using two overlapping curved lines, with a wavy, curved line at each end. Draw the pupils of the eyes using small circles, with an even smaller circle within each. Use short, curved lines to add texture above the eyes, below the mouth, and along the cheeks.
Color Your Grinch Drawing
10. Color the Grinch. He is usually depicted as green, wearing a red and white suit, although he was a colorless pencil drawing in the book's original printing.
For more great Christmas & Winter drawing tutorials, see the 43 Simple Christmas & Winter Drawing Ideas post.
Don't be a Grinch! Check out our other cartoon character drawing guides.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Grinch Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Learn how to get access to thousands of printable pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).