Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Does whatever a spider he can.
Spins a web any size,
Catches thieves, just like flies.
Look out! Here comes the Spiderman!
Is he strong? Listen, Bud!
He's got radioactive blood.
Can he swing from a thread?
Take a look overhead.
Hey there, there goes the Spiderman!"
- Theme song, Spider-Man, 1967
Spider-Man is a fictional superhero who debuted in 1962. He's also been referred to as Spiderman, Spidey, the Web-Slinger, and Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.
Spider-Man's real name is Peter Parker. He was an average, unlucky teenaged boy who happened to be bitten by a radioactive spider. This chance occurrence gave Parker super strength and super-fast reflexes, known as his "spidey sense." He used his scientific know-how to design his suit, complete with wrist-mounted web canisters.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Spider-Man has taken on a host of villains, from run-of-the-mill criminals to super baddies like Venom and Carnage. He's fought alongside the Avengers and starred in comic books, animated cartoons, video games, and live-action movies.
Did you know? Spider-Man was the first teenage superhero. Teens had been sidekicks before, but never the hero. Spider-Man was designed to fit the "everyman" archetype - he was relatable because he was weak, poor, uncool, young, and clueless.
He also suffers the loss of loved ones because, even with all of his special abilities, he is not able to save everyone.
Would you like to draw a portrait of Spider-Man for your next comic book or cartoon? This step-by-step superhero drawing tutorial is designed to show you how. You'll start with a circle, triangles, and simple lines. As you add to it, your drawing will become more complex. You'll need a sharp pencil and a good eraser.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Spiderman's Face
1. Begin by drawing a large circle. This will serve as a guide to drawing Spidey's head.
2. Use a series of long and short curved lines to outline the cheeks and square chin below the circle.
3. Outline Spider-Man's triangular eyes. For the nearest eye, use two long curved lines and one short straight line to trace the triangle shape. Then, draw another, slightly larger shape surrounding the first. For the remaining eye, use curved lines to enclose the triangle shapes against the side of the head.
4. Erase the guide lines, leaving a clean outline of the head.
5. Shade a dot or small circle between the eyes. Then, draw a long curved line between the dot and the top of the head. This begins Spider-Man's iconic spider web pattern. Next, extend two curved lines from the bottom of the head to outline the neck.
6. Draw another long curved line from the central point to the top of the head. This forms the second radius of the spider web pattern.
7. Draw another radius, a long curved line from the central point to the side of the face.
8. Draw a fourth radius from the central point to the cheek.
9. Draw the fifth radius from the central point to the chin.
10. Draw the sixth radius from the central point to the cheek.
11. Begin drawing the capture spiral of the web pattern. Draw curved lines between eyes and the radius lines between them.
12. Continue drawing the spiral above the eyes. Use curved lines to connect the radius lines to one another and to the top of the eye.
13. Continue drawing the spiral, using curved lines between the radius lines.
14. Begin drawing the capture spiral below the eyes. Again, use curved lines to connect the radius lines to one another and to the bottoms of the eyes.
15. Draw long lines between the radius lines on top of the head, those that diverge around the eye, and across the chin.
16. Draw curved lines between the lines of the spiral on the side of the face.
17. Draw curved lines on the neck to continue the spider web pattern.
18. Draw the lines of the capture spiral between the radius lines on the neck.
19. Continue to draw short curved lines between the radius lines of the neck.
20. Color your cartoon Spider-Man mask. It is usually red and black.
Now that you've mastered drawing Spider-Man's face, you can learn how to draw Spider-Man from head to toe!
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!