Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
Batman is a fictional superhero. He first appeared in DC Comics' Detective Comics no. 27 in 1939. After his parents were murdered when he was a child, Bruce Wayne dedicated his life and his fortune to crime-fighting. He has also been known as Bat-Man, the Dark Knight, and the Caped Crusader.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Batman's logo or symbol is the silhouette or shadow of a bat on a round yellow field. In many Batman stories, the city of Gotham can alert him to danger by shining a spotlight in the sky, reflecting his logo on the clouds.
Would you like to learn to draw a cartoon of the famous superhero, Batman?
This step-by-step comic book drawing tutorial is here to show you how. Sharpen your pencil and grab an eraser, it's time to draw!
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing Batman's Face
1. Begin by drawing a large circle. This will serve as a guide for sketching Batman's face.
2. Draw a pair of curved lines down from the circle, outlining the sides of the face. Connect them with a series of three lines, sketching the pointed chin.
3. From the sides of the face, draw curved lines upward, passing through and out of the circle. Then, draw curved lines from the tips of these lines to the circle, outlining Batman's pointed, bat-like ears.
4. Erase the guide lines from the sides of the circle.
5. Draw a curved line across the face, below the bottom of the circle. This forms the nose of Batman's mask.
6. Erase the remaining guide lines of the original circle. Notice that traces of the circle remain at the base of the ears.
7. Draw Batman's eyes. Use two curved lines to enclose each.
8. Draw curved lines at a diagonal angle from the inner corner of each eye to the bottom of the mask. This outlines the sides of Batman's nose.
9. Contour the face with a curved line near the top of the head and another down the center of the nose.
10. Draw a line across the base of one of the bat ears, and another line down its middle.
11. Repeat the previous step, forming a mirror image. Draw a line across the base of one of the bat ears, and another line down its middle.
12. Draw Batman's frowning lips. Use a wide "M" shaped line for the upper lip and a curved line for the lower lip.
13. Draw curved lines downward from the edges of the mask, outlining the neck.
14. Draw curved lines overlapping the bottoms of the lines of the neck drawn in the previous step. These form Batman's shoulders.
15. Contour the neck with diagonal curved lines.
16. Draw a curved line from the tip of one shoulder to the other to enclose the figure.
17. Draw a curved line across each cheek, from the base of the mask to the bottom of the chin.
18. Erase the guide lines from the mask, leaving a clean outline.
19. Detail the fabric of Batman's suit using curved lines at the base of the neck. Your cartoon of Batman is complete. Add some color - his suit is usually black, grey, or dark blue.
Now that you've mastered drawing Batman's face, challenge your skills and learn to draw the entire Dark Knight.
Printable Drawing Tutorial
This printable is for members only. Join now!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).