Learn how to draw a great looking 3D Heart with easy, step-by-step drawing instructions, and video tutorial.
By following the simple steps, you too can easily draw a perfect 3D Heart.
You can create a 3D heart drawing to express your love or simply decorate your gear. You won't even need to wear any 3D glasses to make it work!
How does this simple, two-dimensional cartoon line drawing trick the brain into thinking it is three-dimensional? It is all about the placement of the lines. This is known as an optical illusion.
When the lines are arranged in a certain way, the brain "fills in the blanks" based on your experience with real-world objects.
Scroll down for a downloadable PDF of this tutorial.
Since real objects with sides are actually three-dimensional, your mind assumes that this object with apparent sides is, too.
The coloration of the drawing can also help. Try coloring the front of the heart a light shade, and the side a darker shade of the same color. This will enhance the three-dimensional effect.
If you enjoy this 3D heart outline, check out the impossible heart - a mind-bending shape that you can draw in three dimensions.
Or, you can try your skills out on other shapes, like this 3D sphere.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Drawing a 3D Heart
How to Draw a Great Looking 3D Heart for Kids, Beginners, and Adults - Step 1
1. Begin the 3D heart outline by drawing a long curved line. This will become one lobe and side of the heart shape.
Easy 3D Heart Drawing - Step 2
2. Draw another long curved line, completing the outline of the heart. Notice that the second side appears a bit squished, narrower than the first. This is important to achieving the three-dimensional effect.
Easy 3D Heart Drawing - Step 3
3. Draw a curved line inside the heart, roughly parallel to the outer edge. This will become a second heart shape.
Easy 3D Heart Drawing - Step 4
4. Complete the small inner heart shape with a curved line. Notice that it too is squished and narrow, parallel to the edge of the heart.
Easy 3D Heart Drawing - Step 5
5. Draw a curved line from the top of the squished lobe to the side of the other lobe. This begins the top of the three-dimensional effect.
Easy 3D Heart Drawing - Step 6
6. Draw a curved line from the top of the remaining lobe, continuing the side of the three-dimensional object.
Easy 3D Heart Drawing - Step 7
7. Continue to draw the line parallel to the side of the heart.
Add More Details to Your 3D Heart Picture - Step 8
8. Draw two curved lines inside the inner heart. They should run parallel to the side of the heart and the lobe.
Complete the Outline of Your 3D Heart Drawing - Step 9
9. Complete your 3D heart outline by drawing short, straight lines between the points of the heats and the remaining lines.
Color Your 3D Heart Drawing
Color your 3D heart cartoon. We’ve shaded ours pink, a traditional color for hearts.
For more great Heart drawing tutorials, see the 36 Easy Heart Art Projects for Kids post.
Click HERE to save the tutorial to Pinterest!
3D Heart Drawing Tutorial - Easy & Fun Printable Pages
Join now and get immediate access to thousands of printable drawing instruction and practice pages!
Still seeing ads or not being able to download the PDF?
First, check that you're logged in. You can log in on the member login page.
If you're still not able to download the PDF, the likely solution is to reload the page.
You can do this by clicking the browser reload button.
It is a circular arrow-shaped icon at the top of the browser window, typically found in the upper-left side (you can also use keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+R on PC and Command+R on Mac).